We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best dining near the Royal?

Newton, MA
Level Contributor
97 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Best dining near the Royal?

We are planning seven nights at the Royal and would appreciate recommendations for the best restaurants in the area for dinner (we will use taxis as needed, but would like to avoid rides longer than 15 minutes or so) -- we don't eat meat but love fish, veggies, pasta, and prefer "fine dining" places. Many thanks.

madison wisconsin
Level Contributor
926 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best dining near the Royal?

Within walking distance of your hotel, there's a plethora of restaurants, all types and prices, to choose from. The Edge at the end of the road is good. Charthouse up the road, Delirious, Red Snapper, Castaways, Ku De Ta, Ti Bannane at Coco Palm, Buzz, Big Chef, etc. All these you can walk to from your hotel.

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best dining near the Royal?

As Okey has said, there are a lot of restaurants within walking distance.

If you prefer fine dining, then Chic at the Royal is very good, but also expensive. Within walking distance I would say The Edge and Buzz are good; but for other fine dining restaurants within 15 minutes ride you have The Cliff at Cap Maison and Piano Piano at Cotton Bay.

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
670 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best dining near the Royal?

If you love fish then Coalpot is the best. It is on the outskirts of Castries so you would have to take a taxi but it is well worth it. You do need to book in advance though they are often full particularly when the cruise ships are in.

St. Lucia
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best dining near the Royal?

Memories of Hong Kong is one of my favorites and it is directly opposite the Royal!

Newton, MA
Level Contributor
97 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best dining near the Royal?

Based on the advice above, for our 7 nights we are planning to dine at Chic, Edge, Buzz, Coalpot, Jacques, Great House, Charthouse (or Delirius) -- any reactions to that lineup?

St. Lucia
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best dining near the Royal?

Your line up is great!

Remember to post a review of the different restaurants when you get back home.

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best dining near the Royal?

"we are planning to dine at Chic, Edge, Buzz, Coalpot, Jacques, Great House, Charthouse (or Delirius) -- any reactions to that lineup?"

The choice of restaurants is a very personal thing; we all have different likes and dislikes. Having said that, and based on my own personal tastes and experiences in the different restaurants, my comments on the above list are:

Chic - very good quality and service, but also the most expensive on the island. There are no windows in the restaurant, so no views. I would replace Chic by Cap Maison - excellent quality, slightly cheaper, and a stunning location and view.

Edge and Buzz - yes

Coalpot and Jaques - both at the same location, just on opposite sides of Vigie Creek. I personally would just do one, my preference would be for the Coalpot.

Great House - I haven't been there since it reopened with a new chef very recently after being closed for two years. It used to be very bad for mosquitos, due to the nearness of a pond or some water just down the hill.

Charthouse - I was very dissapointed with it when I went last year. The service was very slow, and the food was not what I call good quality. My steak was very tough.

I personnaly would drop Charthouse and Jaques, and replace them by Piano Piano, fine dining at a reasonable price compared to Chic and Cap Maison; and Ku de Ta, a Thai restaurant that does have a good selection of fish dishes.

I would also keep an eye on reviews for the Great House, as it is still an unknown factor since its recent reopening.

8. Re: Best dining near the Royal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 17:18