We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricanes in St.. Lucia

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hurricanes in St.. Lucia

My fiancee and I are considering honeymooning in St. Lucia in August and are wondering about the possibility of hurricanes. We know that this is during the hurricane season, but does St. Lucia typically get hit?

Thanks.

Woodstock, Ontario
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurricanes in St.. Lucia

We just returned today. We were told that St. Lucia hasn't had a hurricane for many years however they do feel the effects of them, but more as a tropical storm.

ny
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurricanes in St.. Lucia

The hurricane season really doesn't kick off till late september and it almost always passes way north of St. Lucia.

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurricanes in St.. Lucia

Nobody can say whether or not St Lucia will be hit by a hurricane in August 2009.

All you can do is look at past history, and use that as a factor in making an informed guess about the likelyhood of future hurricane impacts.

Looking back at direct hits or near misses over the last 50 years there were:

1960 hurricane Abby hit with 80mph winds in july killing 6.

1963 hurricane Edith hits with 80mph winds. 10 killed

1979 Hurricane David passes 40 miles north of St Lucia with 145mph winds causing a lot of tree damage.

1980 hurricane Allen eye passes just south with 115mph winds and gusts to 130mph. Very heavy damage. Six reported killed with 235 million in damage.

1994 tropical storm Debby destroys 60% of Banana crops

2007 Hurricane Dean passes between Martinique and St Lucia with 100mph winds.The roof at the Children's Ward of the Victoria Hospital was blown off and roads had been blocked with debris. The two airports on the island had been closed. Strong winds and heavy seas caused extensive damage along the north and west coasts of St. Lucia, including damage to bridges, roofs, and utility poles. Damage there was estimated at $18 million. One death reported in St Lucia

2008 Hurricane Omar created heavy swell in the Caribbean, which caused large waves to batter the west coast of St Lucia.

Looking at the above list you can conclude that the chance of a direct hit in August 2009 is going to be very low. As has already been said, there is more chance that a Tropical Wave or Depression might cause a few days of heavy rainfall. Or you might have a lot of sun with you a few showers.

I have been to St lucia and other parts of the Caribbean many times, at different times of the year.

I personally do not let the possibility of bad weather influence my planning.

Castries, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
377 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurricanes in St.. Lucia

Agree 100% with Sunlover. I was here for Dean in August of '07 and that has really been the only thing in the way of hurricanes in my time here.

5. Re: Hurricanes in St.. Lucia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 17:20