We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calm water in December?

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
448 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Calm water in December?

Hello to all! I have searched the forum and could find many answers to "weather in December", but I am curious as to if the actual ocean will be choppy or calm in December? We stayed at Ti Kaye in spring 2006 and that is where we will stay again. The ocean water was like a lake......very placid, no waves. Easy swimming and snorkeling without being bounced around. That was in May. We are considering visiting in December and we are hopeful that the ocean conditions would be the same as swimming and snorkeling are our favorite beach activities......other than lounging with a nice drink :-)

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks so much and have a wonderful day!!

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calm water in December?

It is impossible to predict what the sea conditions will be like in December. You can have excellent sunny weather, but the sea can be rough, then 2 days later it can be calm.

For what it is worth, I went down for a day to Anse Cochon (Ti Kaye) in January this year, and there was a very heavy surf, with the waves almost knocking me over.

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
448 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calm water in December?

Is it the time of year that makes the water condition so uncertain....or can you have rough water any time of year. I just remember that May was phenomenal. But there again...we were in Anguilla in June one year and the first couple of days....0 waves, but then the middle days, we had more. I just don't want to choose a horrible time of year to visit and end up with too much wave action.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,410 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calm water in December?

Calm versus not depends on weather, plain and simple. Hurricane Season runs from June through November so that would be the more likely time to have churned up waters but certainly not the only time. I've gone in November/December for years and always snorkeled in calm waters but that doesn't mean the water is placid calm every day. You could go again in May and have high surf, you won't know till the time arrives.

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
448 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calm water in December?

Obviously no guarantees on the weather, so I am just trying to get a general idea if December is considered a good weather, low surf month. I don't want to pick a "bad" time to visit. I sure wish we could predict the weather down to the day....wouldn't that be nice :-)

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,410 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calm water in December?

Have a look at this link and click on st. lucia surf.

http://www.stormsurf.com/locals/barb.shtml

You will see that the surf for St. Lucia has ranged from 0.3 feet to 5.4 feet so far this month. You can expect the same any other month.

6. Re: Calm water in December?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 18:17