We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EC Dollars - get ahead of time?

Alberta
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
EC Dollars - get ahead of time?

It takes three days and will cost 8.00 to get some EC dollars from my local bank - I'll need to order soon if I want to get them before we leave(oh, the joys of a small Canadian town....)

Should I bother or just head for a bank machine when we arrive?

thanks

p.s. I will have US dollars by then (the bank is all out today!!!)

madison wisconsin
Level Contributor
926 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EC Dollars - get ahead of time?

I suggest just head to a bank machine when you arrive and it will dispense EC.

Alberta
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: EC Dollars - get ahead of time?

I figured as much - that's what I'll do, then.

thanks for the response.

Ontario's Near...
Level Contributor
477 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EC Dollars - get ahead of time?

RBC and Scotia both charge $5.00 per withdrawal. RBC bank card will not work at Scotia. Using the bank machine is as easy as at home. The rate will fluctuate with the dollar, day to day. USD are taken just about everywhere, giving change in ECD. DO NOT bring USD $100 bills, most everywhere will not take them. They are even hesitant about %50 USD bills. Also no USD that have a rip.

florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
767 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: EC Dollars - get ahead of time?

Please note the $5.00 charge for withdrawals is in EC $s -- so that's about US$2.

Ontario's Near...
Level Contributor
477 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: EC Dollars - get ahead of time?

The $5.00 is in Canadian funds for each withdraw. I just logged on to the bank account and confirmed it is so.

Ontario
Level Contributor
22 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: EC Dollars - get ahead of time?

We just returned from a trip to St Lucia. We brought some Cdn money in case our bank card didn't work which we could convert to ECs at the bank if needed. Our RBC card (PLUS system) worked at the First Caribbean Banks (& I imagine the Royal Banks there too although we didn't make it to one of those). We were told there would be a $5 charge per transaction from RBC but no charge from the SL bank (although I haven't verified that yet). We used Visa for all other purchases. Bring small bills for tipping.

florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
767 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: EC Dollars - get ahead of time?

It's under $2.00 for a US bank---- guess it all depends on where you live -- and also your bank.

8. Re: EC Dollars - get ahead of time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 05:21
Get answers to your questions about St. Lucia