We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying in July/August

kent
Level Contributor
115 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
staying in July/August

Could anyone please tell me what weather to expect in July /August.I will be travelling with my mother and would be grateful for any advice on where to stay. I would like something on a nice beach, not too big a hotel and maybe near some shops/ good sight seeing. It's a treat for her so a 5* hotel would be good or a very good 4*. Also any advice on good agents to book with be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Sweden
Level Contributor
399 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: staying in July/August

July/August is in the middle of the rainy season and it can be quite hot and humid . Usually you just have scattered and short rain, but there can be days when it is raining for most of the day. The average temperature is 27-30 degrees of Celsius (82-86F)

Most of the stores, shops and nightlife is in Castries/Rodney Bay area, but the best sightseeing in Soufriere area. There isn't much shopping to do in St. Lucia anyway, therefore I would recommend you to look for hotels in Soufriere area, as the scenery is beautiful there and it is close to main attractions, such as the the Pitons, sulphur springs, various waterfalls, botanical garden and rainforest. You can always do a half day or full day shopping tour to Castries. For example, Anse Chastanet in Soufriere is a nice 4 star hotel that has 49 rooms and a beautiful black sand beach. Just be aware that there are about 150-200 stairs leading from the beach level to the standard/superior/hillside rooms. Other nice, small and quiet places in Soufriere area include Ladera and Stonefield Estate, however they are minutes away by shuttle bus from Jalousie Beach.

I usually do all my bookings with Expedia or directly with hotels, depending on which one has better rates.

kent
Level Contributor
115 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: staying in July/August

Thank you for all the information. it will be a great help.

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
670 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: staying in July/August

Just a thought if you do feel like Rodney Bay where most of the restaurants and resorts are you might like to check out The Landings, it is luxury apartments but within a hotel setting with a nice beach, spa, restaurants etc. They have a very good web site. Also have the option of cooking for yourselves for breakfast for example which can sometimes be nice.

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: staying in July/August

In my opinion the only 5 star hotels in St Lucia are Jade Mountain, Discovery, the Landings, and Cotton Bay Village.

Jade Mountain is in the south, with marvellous scenery, but no shops. It is built on a high hill, overlooking the beach below. You do not comment on how old your mother is, but in my opinion, even though there is a shuttle to take you down to the beach, it is more suitable for younger reasonably fit people.

Discovery is in a nice setting in Marigot Bay. The main drawback is that it does not have its own beach. You have to take a small ferry boat across to a small beach on the other side of the bay.

Both Landings and Cotton Bay are north of Rodney Bay, about a 10 to 15 minute taxi ride into the shops and restaurants in Rodney Bay. Landings is on the Caribbean side, with a nice beach. Cotton Bay is on the Atlantic side, with a long beach protected from the Atlantic breakers by a reef, but there is always more wind than on the Caribbean side. Some people welcome this.

Also Cap Maison is worth looking at. It is a new small "boutique hotel", which I would rate at 4 to 5 star. It is also about 15 minutes north of Rodney Bay. A drawback is that it does not have its own beach, but there is a small cove next door with steps leading down to a small beach.

5. Re: staying in July/August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2009, 07:23