We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marigot Bay Grocery Store

mt. laurel, nj
Level Contributor
365 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Marigot Bay Grocery Store

We are heading to SL in February and staying 2 nights in Marigot Bay before heading to Jade Mountain for 5 nights. I would like to purchase several bottles of wine (and maybe a case of beer for me!) for our room at JM and was wondering if anyone can tell me what the grocery store at Marigot was like. Is there a decent selection of white (Calif Chardonnay) at this store and what are the prices like?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
769 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marigot Bay Grocery Store

You will more likely find S.American and other imported rather than Calif but you might find one or two. The Marigourmet is small but has a decent selection of wines. You would naturally find more in Castries at either the supermarket or liquor store. Beer-- no problem. If you are driving to Jade or even going by cab, you could also go into Souffriere before going to JM and see what they have at the supermarkets there.

Australia
Level Contributor
361 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marigot Bay Grocery Store

I shopped there many times when I couldn't find certain items in Castries.

They tend to stock some gourmet products (some of them imported from Martinique) but they charge arm and leg for them. One of the most overpriced shop I have ever seen.

BC
Level Contributor
233 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Marigot Bay Grocery Store

When going to Jade, I suggest turning towards the town of Soufriere, go over the bridge and stop at the liquor store right beside the Shell fuel station just past the bridge. You can get the excellent local Piton beer there, the local Bounty rum and most other products. The prices there are better than most other outlets.

Sussex, UK
Level Contributor
161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marigot Bay Grocery Store

When staying in Marigot Bay, I recommend buying your liquor at he Promise Supermarket on the main road from Castries, on the right just before the turn-off to Marigot Bay. The prices are much more reaonable than at Marigourmet and very much in line with the big supermarkets.

They stock beer and many spirits. They don't have a big choice of wine, but expect to pay a lot for wine everywhere. Best value is the Chilean.

You will get a better choice of wine at Brydens inside the Gablewoods complex just north of Castries.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marigot Bay Grocery Store

If you are very picky about the wine you want, I suggest you bring some with you. "Bottlewise" makes some good packages to put your wine into before storing it in your checked luggage. I am not sure of the exact volume of alcohol you are allowed to bring in to St Lucia, but we routinely bring a bottle per adult of our favorite champagne with us. We've not had any of them break - and then we have something to pack the bottles of rum into when we return home!

6. Re: Marigot Bay Grocery Store

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2010, 05:19