We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

off the beaten path st lucia (accommodations & restaurants)

new york, ny
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
off the beaten path st lucia (accommodations & restaurants)

my boyfriend and i are planning to be in st lucia the first week of april. we are looking to stay in more of a guesthouse/small hotel situation rather than a resort. we're looking for something less than $100 (us)/night. we've travelled to tobago before, which i think is much more remote than st lucia. it's not necessary to have a lot around, but it would be nice if there were a few restaurants nearby (nothing fancy). would also like to be close to a beach.

i'm trying to figure out if we should stay in one place the entire week (and rent a car) or stay in a few different areas on the island. we're much more interested in being with the locals than being with tourists.

the places on my list of where to stay, so far, are:

-talk to me cool spot

-bay gardens inn

-villa caribbean dream

does anyone have anything to say about these places? or are there any other suggestions of other places to stay? also, we'd love suggestions on restaurants that have the best of local cuisine. we have no interest in continental food at all. thanks!!

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,444 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: off the beaten path st lucia (accommodations & restaurants)

Another to add to your list is Fox Grove Inn.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,444 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: off the beaten path st lucia (accommodations & restaurants)

Tried to edit my above post but time expired. You could also have a look at Hummingbird Beach Resort, Fond Bay Suites and Fox Grove Inn,. Bay Gardens Inn is in the area of many tourist hotels so not off the beaten path but nice in any event.

florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
771 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: off the beaten path st lucia (accommodations & restaurants)

Also look at Inn on the Bay and Bois Rouge BB --both in Marigot Bay with many amenities nearby ...................

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: off the beaten path st lucia (accommodations & restaurants)

Also consider Habitat Terrace; they have a website.

new york, ny
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: off the beaten path st lucia (accommodations & restaurants)

thanks for all the feedback. if we decide to stay to the south it seems that Talk to Me Cool Spot and Hummingbird Resort are our top runners. We're trying to find a place near Castries/Marigot Bay that is within our price range. Inn on the Bay looks amazing, but at the time of year we'll be traveling it's nearly $200/night for a room which is over our budget. Are there any other recommended budget places in that area?

Also, I've been reading very mixed things about Soufriere. It seems that a lot of people talk about pretty aggressive panhandling/hostility toward tourists in that area. As much as we want to be with the locals, we don't want to do so if they don't want us there or at the expense of constant harassment. This is not a fear issue, just rather that we want our vacation to be relaxing. If someone could weigh in on what to expect from Soufriere that'd be great. The other thought we had was to spend the first few nights in Soufriere and the last few in the Gros Islet/Castries/Marigot Bay area. Thanks again for the information!!

Also, any thoughts on staying the in Vieux Fort (as opposed to Soufriere) area for the first few days and then going up north?

florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
771 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: off the beaten path st lucia (accommodations & restaurants)

First I would say to stay in Souffriere area rather than Vieux Fort -- Vieux Fort is more of an "industrial town" (not like n the states, but...) -- it is a great spot to stay if you want to do windsurfing or such. I have heard good things about Talk to me Cool and know that Hummingbird is nice.

You're right -- don't think in season you would find something in the $100 range in Marigot. You might find something in Castries area.

Souffriere -- dont' be turned away. Yes, you can run into some aggressive vendors, but like anywhere, if you give a smile and say "no thank you" and keep walking, they wont' bother you. I would not say they display hostility toward tourists -- maybe a few - -but not on the whole. Most Lucians understand that tourism is important to their economy and want to make you happy. Talk to them and you'll find some genuinely warm, caring people. You sound like the type who would not be put off by the odd person who is a bit aggressive in his selling technique.

new york, ny
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: off the beaten path st lucia (accommodations & restaurants)

that's reassuring to hear. so i guess we're thinking of spending the first few nights in soufriere and then the last 4 up north. i'm trying to get a sense of distance and getting around... how far is gros islet from the castries/marigot bay area? what would the best way to get back and forth between the two be?

Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
Level Contributor
3,431 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: off the beaten path st lucia (accommodations & restaurants)

The St.Lucia toursit board has a newer site called

"INNtimate St.Lucia" with listings of small hotels, guest house's B & B's, apartments and villas

http://www.inntimatestlucia.org/default.aspx

Something to look at under $100 in Marigot Bay would be JJ's Paridise

http://www.jj-paradise.com/index.html

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,444 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: off the beaten path st lucia (accommodations & restaurants)

Mango Beach Inn is a great option but probably above your $100 mark.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
978 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: off the beaten path st lucia (accommodations & restaurants)

Harmony Suites at Rodney Bay was great! loved the area, lots of great restaurants