We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash or Travellers Cheques?

Sherwood park...
Level Contributor
558 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cash or Travellers Cheques?

Spending Two weeks at the Sandals Grande....any suggestions on US Cash or are Travellers cheques better? Is there any reason to convert once there to St. Lucian money?

Sweden
Level Contributor
399 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash or Travellers Cheques?

I'm not sure about the Sandals rules, but it is extremely hard to use travelers cheques in St. Lucia. Most restaurants, stores etc don't accept them at all. But it is very easy to use debit/credit cards almost anywhere on the island. Just that the beach and market vendors don't take them. Therefore, I'd recommend taking some cash and using credit/debit cards and you can be sure that you have no difficulties paying for your purchases.

Sweden
Level Contributor
399 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash or Travellers Cheques?

Oh I forgot to answer about the second part. You are perfectly fine using US dollars, as all stores/restaurants/vendors take USD and give you back change in EC dollars. The exchange rate is fixed and you can exchange a small amount into ECD if you want to but there's actually no need for it. Just to let you know, if you go to the duty free centers, it is better to pay in ECD because their US price is much higher for some reason.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,435 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash or Travellers Cheques?

Cash, credit or debit cards. Forget about Travelers Checks. You won't need much if you are staying at the Grande. Will need for entrance fee to Pigeon Island ($5 each), Castries market, tips if on outside trips, taxis if you utilize one (they MAY be able to charge that to your room) and most everything else can be charged to your room.

Sherwood park...
Level Contributor
558 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash or Travellers Cheques?

thanks

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash or Travellers Cheques?

Generally you can't use cash on the resort, taxi drivers and most shops accept US or EC Dollars.....lots of places also accept TC's........Anything you buy on resort is charged to your account at end of holiday in US Dollars.....I tend to carry US Dollars to Caribbean ( I know, why should I ) and settle the bill in dollars before leaving ,saves a big Visa bill on my return...There is a branch of Bank of St Lucia just along from the Supermarket in Gros Islet, they change TC's in EC Dollars but it takes for ever getting served...... just round the corner there is a large Pharmacy and Doctors Surgery, there's a hole in the wall where you can use Visa, Mastercard etc...much quicker but you only get EC Dollars Have fun !

6. Re: Cash or Travellers Cheques?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2010, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about St. Lucia