We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better Than St Lucia?

St. Simons Island...
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Better Than St Lucia?

My wife and I had the experience of a lifetime when we visited St Lucia in 2006 for our honeymoon. Words cannot express our awe at the beauty and majesty of the island and it's people. We stayed at the Sandals Grande St Lucien and toured much of the island during the stay. Next year, 2011, we plan to return to the Caribbean for our 5th anniversary. We are sorely tempted to return to St Lucia. Having said that, I'm posing a question to experienced travelers: Is there another Caribbean isle that's similar to St Lucia and is most deserving of a visit? Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer. Cool Ray

Joy's Adventure Excursion and Coastal Cruise
Boat Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Speed Boats Tours
Cosol Tours
Sightseeing Tours
JJ Speed Boat Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Speed Boats Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Toronto
Level Contributor
5,145 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better Than St Lucia?

Grenada - http://www.travelgrenada.com/

I don't know if I would go so far as to say it is better but from what I have read it is certainly comparable.

The other island I find very intriguing is Dominica.

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
670 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better Than St Lucia?

I have been to both and found the hotel staff generally in Grenada a little unfriendly. Having stayed on both islands I would recommend St Lucia. I haven't been to Dominica but believe it is lovely but not so many restaurants, depends what you are looking for from your holiday.

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better Than St Lucia?

Grenada is a beautiful island. The beaches are better than St Lucia, and the people are even friendlier than St Lucia, but it does not have the majestic landscape that you find in the south of St Lucia.

Over the years I have been to all nearly all of the islands in the Southern Caribbean, but we keep coming back to St Lucia.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
211 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Better Than St Lucia?

I've been fortunate to "do" several of the Caribbean islands and I would rate the islands in order of preference as:

Jamaica - especially Negril if you like a beach

Antigua - Again for beaches

Bahamas - Warm clear water, great beaches

Tobago - Small and intimate

Barbados - getting a bit too popular and hence busy

St Lucia - Sea and beaches don't match the others and unless you use Castries the transfer is a pain

Cuba- forget it

northwest ontario
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Better Than St Lucia?

Antigua would be my suggestion

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,459 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Better Than St Lucia?

Jamaica has some similarities depending where you choose to stay. Grenada would be my other choice. Dominica would be a nice place to visit as well and is largely undeveloped and not touristy. Dominica would be more like St. Lucia before development came in.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Better Than St Lucia?

It depends what you're looking for. Our two favourite islands are St Lucia and Grand Cayman, but they're very different!

We also like Dominica but it takes longer to get to -- a real consideration if your time is limited. You can only fly in from another island, and the one remaining airport is in the north, about 1 1/2 hours from Roseau and the attractions in the south. It is beautiful but it's not a beach destination. More nature/adventure.

If you have a lot of time, you could go from St Lucia to Dominica for a few days. If you love St Lucia, though, you should have a great time returning!

We haven't found an island we really don't like but some appeal to us more than others.

new york
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Better Than St Lucia?

This is difficult because everyone has his/her preferences. Just to join the conversation--not the debate--here are my preferences:

St. Lucia (far and away the best, principally for the views and people)

Cuba (for Viladaro beach and the people--I will have to speak Spanish next time we go)

Grenada

Tortola

Antigua

too many others to successfully name here. It is a blessing and a privilege to have been able to have gone, I'd say to 20. Yet I always return to St. Lucia

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
857 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Better Than St Lucia?

I would say Grenada may just be the choice for you. Another lush island with spectacular scenery and beautiful beaches. I have been all over the Caribbean and St. Lucia is one I have always wanted to visit, but have not yet. I can say Grenada is one of my favorites. I can also say the people here were some of the friendliest we have ever encountered.

montreal
Level Contributor
190 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Better Than St Lucia?

Hey all,

my two cents would be.

St.Lucia- for the lushness and sheer beauty and for the people.

Grenada- for all the same reasons, just a different island.

Antigua- for the beaches and we still have not seen water that turquise and that clear since. but, we found it to be a very dry island at least when we were there.

Turks and Caicos- not much on the island but, the beach is the best we have ever encountered beaytiful long walks.

Have to say though, this was our 5th year in St.Lucia and we keep comeing back for more. we are booked for X-mas.

no matter what you choose, enjoy. don't you wish all choices were this easy?

kathyanddanny