We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Lucia and Hurricane Season - Travel Insurance?

New York
Level Contributor
74 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
St Lucia and Hurricane Season - Travel Insurance?

We're looking to make our first trip to the island in early-mid August.

How does St. Lucia compare, historically, to the other islands in the Caribbean for hurricanes/tropical storms and would you recommend travel insurance? Is this even an option?

I understand that the only "safe" island are the A-B-C and St Lucia sits relatively south so it might be a bit safer than, say, St. Kitts or the US/BVIs. I also understand that as with investing, past performance / occurrences do not accurately predict the future, but I'm just trying to get as many data points from season travelling / St Lucia experts as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Lucia and Hurricane Season - Travel Insurance?

Put it this way. If you got hit by a hurricane in St Lucia you would certainly be very unlucky. Hurricanes are rare but there have been a couple that have hit the island. We travel in hurricane season and don't buy insurance and we are comfortable with the very limited odds of being hit by a hurricane there.

This link will give you statistics: www.hurricanecity.com/city/saintlucia.htm

New York
Level Contributor
74 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Lucia and Hurricane Season - Travel Insurance?

Brilliant. Thank you.

florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
771 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Lucia and Hurricane Season - Travel Insurance?

Also should you choose to buy trip insurance, be very sure it covers hurricanes - -read the fine print!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Lucia and Hurricane Season - Travel Insurance?

I've been checking the weather often for St. Lucia (going next week!) and it seems it has been raining/will rain pretty much every day. I don't know if this is more of a shower or thunderstorm here and there, or pouring all day? Should I buy travel insurance?

New York
Level Contributor
74 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Lucia and Hurricane Season - Travel Insurance?

I'm not sure travel insurance covers "rain." Does anyone know?

If not, I hope you bought an all inclusive and "special someone" --- you might be holed up at the bar for awhile!

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Lucia and Hurricane Season - Travel Insurance?

You are sure to encounter brief (and welcome) showers and, usually the heavier rain is at night while you are sleeping. It shouldn't interfere with your trip.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Lucia and Hurricane Season - Travel Insurance?

How was your trip? I hope it was filled with lifelong memories - the Rendezvous is a special place!

8. Re: St Lucia and Hurricane Season - Travel Insurance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2011, 05:16