We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Google Earth updated!

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
429 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Google Earth updated!

I have been following this forum for quite a while, planning my trip to St. Lucia. Almost every day I have been getting on Google Earth to see my villa. (The Sea Pearl, which I believe is located between Cap Maison and Almond Smugglers Cove) Today I got on and it has been updated from 2007, to January 28, 2010. The imagery is SOOO much clearer and it shows Cap Maison built! (In the 2007 shots, I couldn't even tell what was there!) So if you're a google fan, you might want to take a look. I am so pumped for this trip. Too bad I have to wait until December!

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,496 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Google Earth updated!

I use Google Earth frequently and have suggested it to posters at times in order for them to see the layout of a resort...especially if they are trying to decide between two different places. It's so helpful to actually be able to see the beaches and pools when making a decision. It's a great tool!

December isn't too far off...I have to wait until March for my next vacation, this time to the Bahamas. Have fun with your countdown!

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,398 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Google Earth updated!

Great! I have just downloaded this. Thank you for posting.

Sweden
Level Contributor
399 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Google Earth updated!

Thanks for letting us know. I just checked that Rodney Bay area looks so nice and clear on Google Earth now. Unfortunately they haven't updated Soufriere yet, it still has the 2007 image. Hopefully they will update the whole island soon. I like to open the program once in a while and virtually fly to St. Lucia :D

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Google Earth updated!

The new images are great, but I wish there was some way of updating / removing some of the placemarks in the Google Earth Community. Every time Google issue new images, some of the placemarks become obsolete. You also have a number that are clearly wrong, e.g. Bertotools thinks that the Royal by Rex and Sandals Halcyon are both near Sandals Regency; and Matt1974 thinks that Smugglers Cove is at Le Sport. Matt.1974 has also cluttered the whole island with placemarks simply saying "Google Earth - New Path" . Then you find other people posting placemarks saying "Our Honeymoon Room"; what interest is that to the rest of the world?

In my opinion placemarks like these detract from the positives of Google Earth.

London
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Google Earth updated!

Great, now you can zoom in to greatest level of magnification, before you had to stop one before the top.

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,398 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Google Earth updated!

Still not quite magnified enough to see into Windjammer's plunge pools (thank goodness) :-)

7. Re: Google Earth updated!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2011, 05:17