We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions other than Sandals?

Arlington, Virginia
2 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions other than Sandals?

My husband and I are planning to come to St Lucia in Feb 2011. In doing my research, I have to admit Sandals seems like the best option for the money (and ease!), but I'd love to have an alternative. We'd like to keep the trip around $600 a day, including hotel and food. We are wanting a nice pool, access to beach and restaurants, spa, and a room with a balcony. Any suggestions?

Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Vieux Fort, Gros Islet
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions other than Sandals?

Have a look at a beach front room at Bay Gardens Beach Resort.

STEVE

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions other than Sandals?

Steve's is a great suggestion. BGBR has a good location on a long stretch of beach and there are lots of nearby restaurants, nightlife, etc

Other resorts worthy of consideration are Windjammer Landing, LeSport Body Holiday, Rendezvous and Villa Beach Cottages. LeSport is a little out of the way but they include daily massages and the beach is supposed to be quite nice. Windjammer Landing is in Rodney Bay. Rendezvous and Villa Beach Cottages are near Castries.

minneapolis
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions other than Sandals?

We are currently staying at the Villa Beach Cottages next door to Sandals and it is lovely. Pool and beach are great. There is a gal named Teresa that comes and does massage. You can use the Sandals ammenities for a day pass of $100 which includes food, drink, and watersports including waterskiing from 10am to 6 pm if you think that would be fun for a day. We have a lovely view and it is really quiet right now. Check it out!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions other than Sandals?

All the above suggestions are good -- but you could also choose Sandals (either the Grande or Regency for the spa), have a nice time, and keep well within your budget. Remember that you can eat at all the restaurants at all the 3 Sandals.

In case you were considering Windjammer -- it's not really in Rodney Bay but a little south, around the corner. This means that, unlike somewhere like Bay Gardens, you can't walk to the Rodney Bay restaurants but must take a car.

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions other than Sandals?

"This means that, unlike somewhere like Bay Gardens, you can't walk to the Rodney Bay restaurants but must take a car."

But then if you stay at any of the Sandals, exactly the same applies. None of them are within walking distance of any restaurants (except Jambe de Bois on Pigeon Island which is near to the Grande).

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions other than Sandals?

Correct -- but the point is that at Sandals one has a choice of many restaurants with a free shuttle to the other two resorts, therefore proximity to outside restaurants may be irrelevant . It's more important to have access to outside restaurants if one doesn't have a lot of selection at the home resort.

I'm not pushing Sandals but simply wanted to say that it's a perfectly valid option in terms of convenience and predictability. It's sometimes nice not to have to worry about airport transfers, tips, dinner budget etc.

Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Vieux Fort, Gros Islet
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions other than Sandals?

The OP wanted suggestions of alternatives to Sandals

STEVE

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions other than Sandals?

Yes, I did read. I wanted to mention that there's nothing wrong with using Sandals as a "default" after researching these options. The OP mentioned ease/convenience and staying within a budget which is predictable at Sandals.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,419 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions other than Sandals?

Windjammer has 5 restaurants on property. You do need a taxi or car to get to Rodney Bay (we take the local bus but not at night). You can take the bus then take a taxi back if you leave before dark. The bus stop is about a 10 minute walk out the back entrance. The pool in front of the Hibiscus Suites is beautiful, overlooks the ocean and is rarely used.

Bay Gardens Beach Resort is lovely and the pool is very nice. The rooms are modern (too modern for our tastes -- we like more of a Caribbean feel).

Rendezvous is another option (and all inclusive) but will require a taxi ride to Rodney Bay as well (or, again, you could take the local bus).

Sandals is "easy" and I've stayed at all of them but there are many other great choices as well.

10. Re: Suggestions other than Sandals?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2011, 06:16