We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wanting accom with character - NOT all inclusive

Orewa Beach, NZ
Level Contributor
201 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Wanting accom with character - NOT all inclusive

Hi there! Can anyone recommend accommodation in St Lucia (location flexible!) that is NOT sold through package holidays or all-inclusive trips? I am wanting something for my husband and I with a lot of local character, 3-4 star, on or near beach. Suggestions appreciated! Thanks!

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wanting accom with character - NOT all inclusive

Anse Chastanet - http://www.ansechastanet.com/

or for something totally different Balenbouche Estate - http://www.balenbouche.com/

Sweden
Level Contributor
399 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wanting accom with character - NOT all inclusive

Ladera, Stonefield Estate and Anse Chastanet are my top picks. All of them are located in Soufriere, surrounded by beautiful nature and have wonderful views of the Pitons. All 3 are relatively small hotels, away from the crowds, serve delicious local food and you definitely get a true local feel there.

florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
764 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wanting accom with character - NOT all inclusive

Look at Ti Kaye ------------

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wanting accom with character - NOT all inclusive

Some of the suggestions so far, certainly Ladera and Anse Chastenet, are for the top end of the hotel scale there and probably not what you're looking for. They certainly have all inclusive available. Stonefield might suit you - I think you can book it bed and breakfast only but it's not on or near a beach although I think they do shuttle you to a beach - the views are spectacular and the restaurant - Mango Tree is very good.

We stayed at Harmony Suites last time we were there and loved it. It's on the marina in Rodney Bay and a very short walk to the beach. Another place that might be suitable and which gets excellent reviews on here is Villa Beach Cottages although I haven't personally stayed there. Even if you do not stay at Harmony do eat at the onsite restaurant - The Edge - it's excellent although not cheap but definitely worth it for one night. We're going back soon and intend to give it another visit.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,424 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wanting accom with character - NOT all inclusive

My recommendations are Villa Beach Cottages, Stonefield Estates (they shuttle you to the beach which is 5-10 minutes away), Ginger Lily (across the street from the beach) and Ti Kaye (many stairs to the beach). All are smaller properties with charm and character.

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,410 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wanting accom with character - NOT all inclusive

Villa Beach Cottages or Ginger Lily in the North.

Also, possibly Windjammer out of season as you do not have to be AI there and can book a Hibiscus suite where you can do your own catering. These suites are very near the beach front too.

Probably Villa Beach will best fit your requirements, right on the beach, unpretensious with good management and staff.

Ti Kaye is nice too and better snorkelling there, but you can't self cater and are a bit isolate for choices food-wise.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,911 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wanting accom with character - NOT all inclusive

Hello Bunny81,

Try La Dauphine Estate Hotel Soufriere in Etangs or Fond Doux Holiday Plantation Hotel Soufriere in Chateau Belair. Both are on the main road about 10 min drive south of Soufriere (5 min past Ladera). Then you can visit beautiful Anse l'Ivrogne (Sevoigne) at the foot of Gros Piton for St. Lucia's off-the-beaten-track beach, snorkeling, ruins, beach trailhead for Gros Piton hikes and organic Zion Lion Farm to table lunch at Paul's Coal Pot Beach BBQ. This is St. Lucia's only sustainable development project directly benefiting the Carib community of La Pointe. Bless Up! Paul

Orewa Beach, NZ
Level Contributor
201 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wanting accom with character - NOT all inclusive

Awesome! Many thanks for all the replies, definitely will check these all out ;-)

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
158 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wanting accom with character - NOT all inclusive

look at homeaway.com or vrbo.com

these are sites that people rent out houses for actually very cheap. There is huge price variation as well. (always ask for a lower rate than advertised)

minneapolis
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Wanting accom with character - NOT all inclusive

We visited in August for 10 days and stayed an Villa Beach Cottages in the north and Hummingbird in the south. We didn't have the fanciest accommodations on the island, but location was fantastic and we were close to the things we liked to do. Take a look at both - they might have something to offer you.

Villa Beach Cottages was amazing space, great beach. not too far from Rodney Bay if you want to take a cab there.

Hummingbird was walkable to town, not such a nice beach, but a really cheap water taxi ride to the other beaches at jalousie or anse chatenet. Let me know if have any questions about that with a P/M.