We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is St. Lucia a good spot for us?

Twin Cities, MN
10 posts
Save Topic
Is St. Lucia a good spot for us?

We are a family with a teenager and two elementary age kids looking for a great place to spend our spring break. We are not usually resort type vacationers and prefer to rent something where we have a full kitchen to keep on our budget. Our desires are: nice beaches, accessible snorkeling, waves for body surfing (is that possible in the Caribbean?) , not overly touristy, and other fun adventures that a 8 and 9 year old could handle. We are not shoppers but like to have basic necessities near by. Prefer places where we can rent a car if we need to. We have ruled out Atlantis (too expensive and not really our style). We have been to Maui twice and love it, but the teenager really wants to try something new. Any recommendations?

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,424 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is St. Lucia a good spot for us?

Although I love St. Lucia, if you love Maui I'm not sure St. Lucia is for you and your family as Maui is definitely touristy in comparison to St. Lucia. I just returned from Grenada and think it would be perfect for you although much more quiet than Maui. It's incredibly safe and much easier to get around than St. Lucia. If you stay on or near Grand Anse Beach you will have easy access to the grocery store, restaurants and great beach with body surfing available. You could do a day trip to Carriacou so the kids could take the ferry (or you can fly over there,too).

Twin Cities, MN
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is St. Lucia a good spot for us?

Thank you so much. We will definitely look into Grenada.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is St. Lucia a good spot for us?

Hello Fabfam8862, before you decide... consider southwest St. Lucia for a truly unique experience. Majestic Pitons, volcano, hot springs, bat cave... Compared to the north end and most other islands Looshans still have the welcoming & relaxed Caribbean vibe for those tourists that venture out. For lodging try Fond Doux Plantation or Balenbouche, not far from Choiseul and St. Lucia's most beautiful beach at Anse l'Ivrogne.

Please checkout TripAdvisor->Soufriere->Things To Do-> Zion Lion Farm. Bless up! Paul

daisytown
Level Contributor
589 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is St. Lucia a good spot for us?

Try looking into St John. Great snorkeling, beaches first class. Tons of rentals to choice from in all price ranges. St Thomas a 20 minute ferry away

if you want the best shopping in the islands. We love it.

Nancy

Camillus, NY
Level Contributor
764 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is St. Lucia a good spot for us?

I have not yet been to St. Lucia, but with what I am reading, and your description of family, and what you are looking for, I would have to second St. John.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is St. Lucia a good spot for us?

Bon Jou Fabfam8862, for more information on several local-owned B & B's or self-catering lodgings available in the Choiseul area please check out www.choiseulstlucia.com click on Hotels/Guest Houses. You will find them all to be clean, comfortable & convenient to many sites that will interest your teenager and younger children. Big up! Paul

7. Re: Is St. Lucia a good spot for us?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2011, 05:56