We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkel tour from cruise pier

twin cities
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
Snorkel tour from cruise pier

There are 7 of us and we would like to get a tour of the island and do snorkeling. Is it possible to get off of the ship and get a guide or taxi to accomplish this. We want to see the Pitons and don't know if the snorkeling is any good on this island.

Thanks for our time and have a safe Holiday!

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkel tour from cruise pier

Hello maristwinCities,

As soon as you get off the ship you'll be mobbed by taxi drivers & tour guides. Keep in mind they are not at'all equal in price or service. To make the most of your time on island, I suggest the following:

Leave the ship as early as you can (easier said than done in a group!). Get in a taxi van and head south along the coast to Soufriere (one way US$ 70/up to 4 people + US$ 20/each additional person). On the hour+ twisty-turny-up-down ride you'll pass through fishing villages, banana plantations, rainforest, reminders of Hurricane Tomas' visit and glimpses of the Petit Piton as you descend into Soufriere. Stop at the dock where I'll be waiting in my watertaxi (fully licensed, insured & clean, too!) to take you around the Pitons to St. Lucia's most beautiful beach Anse l'Ivrogne (Sevoigne in Kweyol) at the foot of Gros Piton where I've always lived. After a fresh-squeezed local juice or jelly coconut (the green-yellow one with the sweet isotonic water) from my organic farm you'll be ready to snorkel the Blue Hole, a Marine Reserve sponge & coral reef with octopus, starfish, parrotfish, squirrelfish, hinds, snapper, grunts, triggerfish, barracuda, orange/purple/black sea fans with encrusting sponges - and more - below you. For lunch enjoy an authentic Farm-To-Table Carib BBQ on the beach. Please check out TripAdvisor->Soufriere->Things to Do-> Zion Lion Farm.

Then back in the boat for a leisurely cruise to Castries with time to stop & snorkel at any of the following...

ANSE DES PITONS (between the Pitons at Jalousie Resort)

Coral Gardens, at the base of Gros Piton, is a steep slope with different species of corals, large barrel sponges and the unusual sargassum trigger fish can be spotted.

Superman's Flight, at the base of Petit Piton, is a gentle wall with a dramatic drop off to 1,600' covered by soft corals and a profusion of fish life.

MALGRETOUTE (north of the Petit Piton)

Keyhole Pinnacles, four spectacular seamounts, rising dramatically from the depths to within a few feet of the surface, providing shelter for trumpet fish, filefish, frog fish, creole wrasse and seahorses. Abundant pencil coral, feathery black coral, sea fans and vase sponges.

ANSE MAMIN (at Anse Chastenet/Jade Mountain)

Fairy Land, entered from the beach at 5', is a coral plateau that gently drops to 140', covered in gorgonians, soft vibrantly colored corals and sponges. Sea turtles are occasionally seen. This unique coral wall, called the Arch, continues around the headland of Grand Caille (Kweyol for Big Rock) into Soufriere Harbor.

ANSE LA RAYE, a dramatic wall falls from the surface with huge boulders covered in sea whips, gorgonians, delicate soft corals and large feather duster worms can be found.

ANSE COCHON (south of Marigot Bay at Ti Kaye Resort)

Virgin Cove, is a steep slope with large boulders covered in sponges and gorgonians.

Bless Up! Paul

Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Vieux Fort, Gros Islet
Level Contributor
2,152 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkel tour from cruise pier

Hi,

The above is certainly a vg option and certainly avoid the tour/taxi cowboys at the cruise pier unless you want to waste time negogiating hard. Even with the above you will have to be firm with the 70+20 re the taxi. And these fares are one way

You are best to pre book either a taxi or even a tour trip. Search on here for recommended local taxi drivers, if you are struggling I know one but the details are at home. Let me know if needed.

For a tour try John@serenitytvl.com will do a bespoke tour for 7 people at I suspect USD 65 per person inc drinks and lunch at a local restaurant

STEVE

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkel tour from cruise pier

You can pre book with any dive/snorkel op such as Eastern Caribbean Divers or Frogs. Whether they go to the pitons will depend on the day, but if there are 7 people, they will likely accommodate if you ask in advance. Prices are generally 40 to $45/person for snorkeling. Be aware you will also have divers on board, who pay twice as much.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkel tour from cruise pier

Didn't care for the 1st response which was basically an advertisement.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkel tour from cruise pier

Hey CrystalVancouver, you need to come down to St. Lucia and chill if you object to informing visitors to St. Lucia about the world-class snorkeling to be found here, as well as the unique activities available at St. Lucia's ONLY sustainable development project benefitting the La Pointe Carib community.

If, in your opinion, that's "basically an advertisement" - then so be it and please explain how your post promoting Eastern Caribbean Divers AND Frogs isn't "basically an advertisement"?

Let's let maristwinCities decide for themselves what they want to do without criticism. Happy Holy Days to you and yours. Big up! Paul

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkel tour from cruise pier

I don't work for either of the dive ops I mentioned. There are many -- Scuba St Lucia, Scuba Steve's... all are fine and will pick up from the pier, which IMO is easier than renting a car or taking a taxi.

7. Re: Snorkel tour from cruise pier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2011, 05:16