We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Safety

Was surprised to read on CNN that three gay tourists were just beaten and robbed at their rental villa in Soufriere by five armed assailants who made anti gay remarks and made of with thousands of dollars worth of belongings and cash after beating and tying up the tourists. Was surprised to learn that homosexuality is illegal in Saint Lucia and that anti-gay prejudice is common.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety

In general the Caribbean is not very gay-friendly and anti-gay prejudice is quite common, but this is a sad development. I hope the victims weren't badly injured.

Here is the article in Maclean's - www.macleans.ca/article.jsp?content=w6247026

Edited: 16 March 2011, 16:28
Europe
Level Contributor
236 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety

Gdbear, thanks for posting the article link. What a horrifying story.... the home-invasion aspect of it makes it especially disturbing.

Edited: 16 March 2011, 17:56
Hollywood
Level Contributor
261 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety

The petty thieves have no idea of the damage this incident could cause the Island. The gay community is not to be underestimated. There media reach is strong, and previous boycotts have damaged companies and industries into the millions.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
303 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety

I for one will not visit St. Lucia anytime soon. It fustrates me that I have to be concerned with safety when visiting the Caribbean.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
303 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety

I for one will not visit St. Lucia anytime soon. It fustrates me that I have to be concerned with safety when visiting the Caribbean.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety

It is very disturbing as this type of thing could have happened to anyone. I don't know enough about it but it seems to me that the thieves could have been targeting the villa because they know that affluent people stay in those types of accomodations and not necessarily because the gentlemen staying there were gay. The truth probably lies somewhere in between.

Europe
Level Contributor
236 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety

For anyone interested, there are some additional details in this statement that the three victims released:

thegavoice.com/index.php/news/atlanta-news-m…

Apparently, one of the men had been living in St. Lucia since November and was a volunteer at a local school -- according to the statement, the attack actually took place at his home that he had been renting. It sounds like the other two victims must have been visiting.

Edited: 16 March 2011, 19:05
St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,700 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety

Well, dandan76, it frustrates me that I have to be concerned with safety when visiting the US. Seems a little crazy to not be concerned and aware of your environment and safety when visiting foriegn countries.

That area with the private villas is occasionally a target as it is somewhat isolated and not patrolled by the police more than very occasionally, populated mostly by higher-price rentals, and theives know that tourists can be soft targets as usually, people let their guards down when on vacation.

It is truly terrible what happened to these 3 gentlemen. It is truly horrible when it happens to anyone.

Edited: 16 March 2011, 19:10
Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety

Thanks for the update sasark - seems as though the victims are the only ones keeping this in perspective.

Given their track record I doubt the St Lucia Police will catch the thieves so this could have pretty far reaching repercussions. I am truly dissappointed that such a thing has happened as it makes it that much harder for those of us who love St Lucia to promote it as a safe vacation destination.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
303 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety

Reedprincess,

I realize one has to be concerned with safety when vacationing anywhere. What I am alluding to is the fact that in some caribbean islands, homosexuality is illegal. It frustrates me that as a gay

person, I have to think twice as to where I will feel welcome and safe. Granted this situation may not be a hate crime.

Edited: 16 March 2011, 19:20