We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Lucia Destination Experts - suggestions for new ones!

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
St Lucia Destination Experts - suggestions for new ones!

I have seen over the short time I've been contributing to the St Lucia forum that there are a couple of people, namely reedprincess and gdbear who have a lot of knowledge about the island and contribute regularly - I don't know what the procedure is for members to become DEs - do they get nominate or do they have to volunteer.

On the question of DEs for St Lucia there is one for Soufriere who has only posted 13 times on this forum in the last year and then it was mainly on Jade Mountain and Ladera where he stayed - time for him to step down I think.

UK
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Lucia Destination Experts - suggestions for new ones!

To be honest I don't see the point of DE's. They have no moderation privileges and no more resources than standard members. All they get is a green icon above each post. It does not make their advice any more valid than someone who is not a DE. Just my 2p's worth :)

2. Re: St Lucia Destination Experts - suggestions for new ones!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 April 2011, 16:25
3. Re: St Lucia Destination Experts - suggestions for new ones!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 March 2011, 20:54
Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Lucia Destination Experts - suggestions for new ones!

I am flattered by your suggestion - thanks mw

Unfortunately I think your suggestion is going to put some noses out of joint - though I am very knowledgeable of St Lucia, I have only visited twice whereas people who have visited 5 times or more are still finding new things on the island that they're only too willing to come on TA and share with the rest of us, so I'll just do my bit - it helps keep the memories of my vacations there fresh in my mind.

Edited: 23 March 2011, 20:59
St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,184 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Lucia Destination Experts - suggestions for new ones!

man, I seem to be one step behind you these days gdbear65!!! I was just going to say something similar.

I appreciate the praise mw104, and others, always warms the soul to get a compliment!

After living here for all this time, I still don't consider myself an expert on St. Lucia - there's still plenty to learn. And as the hotels change and places change hands or close, etc. it's a challenge to keep up with all the info. It's great to see how much I've been able to pick up from you guys on here too - even my husband, native born Lucian, is constantly surprised by how much those who've only been here once or twice know about our island.

And thanks to all you who've suggest it - Martha's Table in Soufriere is great! Hubby had never heard of it and had no idea it was there - loved being able to surprise him with that one!

Keep up the good work - it's always a pleasure to see new people on here and to keep up with all of you "experts"!!!! ;-)

Vieux Fort, St...
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: St Lucia Destination Experts - suggestions for new ones!

As a destination expert I want to put my two pennyworth in as well....

There are absolutely no benefits from being a Destination Expert except I get to meet people who have written on here sometimes (which is always nice). Our time is volunteered, and the satisfaction comes from hoping that the advise we give may help someone to decide whether the place they are considering is suitable, what facilities are provided, accessibility to beaches, buses, restaurants etc....

We do not get asked to visit restaurants or hotels to better be able to advise, so I dont comment on accommodation unless its somewhere I stay....and I only refer to places I eat in and know.

Living on the island makes it more difficult for me because if I recommend someone I get accused of promotion - so to be less biased I always provide two or three options...and also use it to draw out comment from people who have used them recently.

Maybe, if you want people who have visited recently to comment , it should be suggested that you have to have visited St Lucia within the last 12-18 months to reply....not easily done when people love the place so much!

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,448 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Lucia Destination Experts - suggestions for new ones!

Various people apparently suggested me as a DE and trip advisor then asked me if I would become one. I do spend time answering personal messages where people want to discuss things away from the limelight and do try to answer as honestly as I can. I stay at various places around the island and, like reedprincess, check out new restaurants and try to give people updates on my visits and feedback. As a tourist I also find other peoples feedback useful. For example I will definitely try out Boucan restaurant and also done of the more local places around Soufriere. Happy trips to all!

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Lucia Destination Experts - suggestions for new ones!

Back to this subject! I do think if a contribution comes from a DE it does give it a bit of gravitas - certainly for a newbie. There are 2 DEs for St Lucia who mainly post on specific hotels - one I mentioned in my OP and one who mainly posts on Sandals and again not frequently - how did they become DEs - did they put themselves forward?

I don't agree that DEs should only be appointed on the number of times they've been somewhere - you can glean an awful lot of information from the internet these days which is not necessarly a bad thing. Advice from a DE should not be personal.

And gdbear why would you think that <<Unfortunately I think your suggestion is going to put some noses out of joint >>?

UK
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Lucia Destination Experts - suggestions for new ones!

"I do think if a contribution comes from a DE it does give it a bit of gravitas - certainly for a newbie."

Well yes that is precisely why I think they are a bad idea. We're all individuals with subjective opinions. Nobody's opinion should be given any more gravitas than anyone else's, IMO... especially to newbies who don't understand the system, and think that DE's posts are somehow more "official". Two posters may give contrary opinions - why should one "win" because they have a green bar above their name? Rather than appoint more DEs I would simply scrap them.

(By the way I have already put my money where my mouth is on this issue. I was offered a DE position for St Lucia but turned it down for precisely this reason - I did not think my opinion should be weighted more heavily than anyone else's)

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St Lucia Destination Experts - suggestions for new ones!

I can't imagine that the 2 examples I mentioned were offered it as their contributions although of course based on personal experience is extremely limited and one dimensional so they must have put themselves forward.