We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

some planning help, please

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,157 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
some planning help, please

We're due to arrive at 2pm on Sat. We'll be picking up a rental car at Hewannora to drive to La Haut. We'd like to pick up some beverages and groceries en route. Particularly, some Piton, rum, coke, OJ, milk, coffee and fresh fruits. Where would be the best place to stop for these?

We'd also like to get a bite to eat and had been considering the Reef Cafe but that might take too long considering we probably won't be on the road to La Haut until about 3pm, so are there any good roadside stops along the way?

florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
771 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: some planning help, please

For a larger selection, stop at the Super J's in Vieux Fort. You might not want to pick up refrigerated foods unless you plan to continue on to La Haut without stopping. Or you could stop in Souffriere to pick up your refrigerated goods -- like milk.

You do not say what time your plane lands but I am guessing mid day. The Reef might not still be open but if it is, plan on an hour at least for lunch. Otherwise, you might consider picking up a deli sandwich at the supermarket and having a picnic enroute.

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: some planning help, please

Debbie's Kitchen near Labrorie would be a good place to stop for lunch. It should still be open by the time you get there having got your luggage, picked up car etc..

Sussex, UK
Level Contributor
161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: some planning help, please

For an even better shopping selection than Super J in Vieux Fort, carry on west to Gablewoods South, which is beyond the western end of the airport runway, just past the first turn-off to the right.

You could take a soft cool bag in your luggage to keep stuff cold.

I would second Debbie's Place, which is beyond Laborie at Piaye on the right, but you should check with them that they will serve you, since you will not be there much before 4pm, after clearing immigration, picking up your rental car and shopping.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,157 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: some planning help, please

thanks for the replies - we have a small softsided cooler bag we can bring. Except for stopping for to get a bite to eat we will be driving straight to La Haut after we do our shopping.

OofProsser, so I am clear on the location, I looked at the satellite image map - the roadway turns north at the west end of the runway, then at 2nd right past the end of the runway there appears to be some kind of commercial building - is this the place you mean?

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Sussex, UK
Level Contributor
161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: some planning help, please

Hi gdbear

Your link only brought up a map of North America, but your description is correct. On the Google satellite map the buildings have a grey roof in the shape of an inverted V, with the left arm shorter than the right.

In close up I can see 'Juliet's Supermarket' written on the roof of the longer arm, though the supermarket itself is the shorter arm. It's all very obvious when you see it.

It's about 5-10 minutes drive from the airport. We usually call in there even if we're then driving up the east coast road.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,157 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: some planning help, please

sounds like we can't miss it - thanks again!

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
13,027 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: some planning help, please

For Debbie's definitley, definitely call in advance - she has been closed a lot recently for some improvements, etc. and is often not open for lunch or dinner.

Gablewoods South does have a better selection of fruits and veggies and cheeses, breads, etc. than the SuperJ in Vieux Fort proper. Not sure why as they are the same company, but we do our shopping at the Gablewoods store, just a better selection!

Also, if you want some street food, the lady who grills the chicken right outside of that grocery store makes a really good grilled chicken - it's fast and right there. She has chicken, bakes, etc. So, might work for a light meal.

The Reef will be open when you go by as you arrive at 2, you should be able to be by there around 3 or so. But - it takes a little while for the food - Caribbean time!

Lots of roadside stands as you pass through VF and the highway along to Soufriere!

Enjoy your trip!!!

florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
771 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: some planning help, please

I agree that Gablewoods South is a better store --------however it's quite out of the way if you're heading to LaHaut, gdbear. I'd still vote for Vieux Fort Super J's for a grocery stop for basics. It's maybe five minutes from the airport. They you'd continue on to Laborie etc on your way to Souffriere.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,157 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: some planning help, please

thanks searose, I appreciate the help, but I'm not sure how Gablewoods is out of the way as (according to Google maps) it seems it is located along the main road heading towards the west coast or am I missing something?

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
566 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: some planning help, please

How far is Gablewoods South from the airport...in which direction?

Which would be better to go to if driving up east coast to Micoud.

It seems very difficult to find this info without these forums.

Thanks