We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos

Ft Lauderdale
8 posts
Save Topic
Mosquitos

Hello, I would love to go to ST Lucia, but my wife is under the impression that is rife with mosquitos and you can`t sleep without a net over the bed or special plug ins in the room. Please tell me this is not true! Thanks Phil.........

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
217 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos

It depends on where and when you go. There are definatly mosquitos in the south part of the island, and they are worse in the wet season. June - November.

Most resorts do provide mosquito nets over the beds. You will find the same level of mosquitos in any lush tropical island.

Vector bourne desease is not a problem in St Lucia, so the only mosquito concern is that of comfort.

florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
760 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos

One way to keep mosquitos away ---- take does of vitamin B -- with most people this will keep them away. Another solution is to use a product called Off Botanical Lotion -- it has a nice smell - put it on after showering in the evening and bugs won't bother you. Evening is the time you could have problems.

Ft Lauderdale
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos

Thanks for your help guys. Maybe I can talk my wife into my trip of a lifetime!!!

Saint Augustine...
Level Contributor
154 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos

I have been to the south area of the island in Sept, Oct and Jan. I never ran into a bad mosquito problem.

Chicago
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos

I'm not speaking from experience, but I read many reviews. I recall one particular review where they said they were shocked as to how much the bugs and mosquitos were NOT a problem in St. Lucia. They expected it to be bad (being tropical and rain forest), but did not run into any. I'm sorry I don't recall who said it, all I know is that they were a Sandals guest.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
261 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos

I spent 10 nights on St. Lucia in the south part of the island this past June 2005, and actually didn't have any problems at all, and one of the resorts we stayed in was open air with no 4th wall!

I grew up in Florida, where the mosquitos can pick up your car and fly off. I was expecting St. Lucia to be the same, and actually it wasn't a problem at all. I just wore suntan lotion with bug repellant in it, and had no problems!

Also I am ALWAYS the one in a group where nobody will get bit by mosquitos, and they are swarming around me and I get 50 bites while nobody else feels a thing. I had no problems in St. Lucia!

Just remember it's a tropical island, and most places beautiful have a few bugs, if you are prepared, you won't have any issues!