We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bay Gardens Beach Resort vs Windjammer Landing Villa Beach R

maryland
Level Contributor
162 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bay Gardens Beach Resort vs Windjammer Landing Villa Beach R

This will be my first time traveling to St. Lucia through Interval International can anyone please give me any insight on these resorts. We are a couple in our 40's trying not to be bored.

Windjammer looks very romantic and Bay Gardens seems like the action spot.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,419 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bay Gardens Beach Resort vs Windjammer Landing Villa Beach R

I am a Windjammer owner. I love the resort and all it has to offer and can't wait to go back later this year. Windjammer is set on a hillside with very private villas with a Caribbean flair that afford amazing views. There are lots of activities included at the resort -- water aerobics, banana boat rides and tubing, snorkel trips, sailing, kayaks, water trikes, mixology class and there are tennis courts. They offer entertainment most nights as well which range from a band to a guitar player to a fashion show to performers who limbo, eat fire and Caribbean dance where you can join in the fun if you dare. There are 5 restaurants on property. They will serve you drinks on the beach. It is family-oriented but there are plenty of people like us who are childless couples or couples with adult children. We love it here. It's about a 10 minute cab drive to Rodney Bay where Bay Gardens is located. We like to go to Rodney Bay occasionally for a meal but like to go home to Windjammer when we are done and relax in our plunge pool listening to the "peepers". We are never bored.

Bay Gardens Beach Resort is also nice but very different from Windjammer. It is on Reduit Beach which is the longest and largest beach on the island. There are watersports available on the beach but they will cost you extra $$$ as they are not included. It has two on-site restaurants (one by the pool and one by the main road). It is walking distance to a variety of restaurants, bars, grocery stores, banks and the new mall. Cruise ship passengers come and spend the day. It's a much busier place but where the action is.

Depends on you and your personality which is a better choice.

Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Vieux Fort, Gros Islet
Level Contributor
2,097 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bay Gardens Beach Resort vs Windjammer Landing Villa Beach R

Pokeno,

I have stayed at the BGBR 3 times and this post is mainly about that hotel. I have never been to Windjammer but it does get good reviews and I totally respect everything that Nevera has said above. The one point that people have mentioned about WJ that Nevera has not covered is that because the site is quite large and built into the hillside you may need to use their free shuttle bus to get around and some people have complained that is variable in availability.

BGBR is only 4 years old. It is truely beachfront and the beachfront rooms are 10 yards from the beach and 25 yards from the sea. All the other rooms are 150 yards max from the sea. Because it is new everything works and the standards of furnishings etc is high, as I believe they are at WJ.

BGBR is in Rodney Bay village so you have a choice of over 40 restaurants and bars offering all types and price ranges of meals etc. They are all within 10 mins walk.

BGBR is at one end of Rodney Bay/Redruit Beach and as such does not get that over crowded with cruise ship day trippers who can be a problem on other areas of the beach. BGBR does not actively let cruise ship passengers use the hotel facilities ie the pool etc. A few do 'sneak' in but they don't cause any problem and there are plenty of sun beds both poolside and on the beach to go round. There is a BGBR security man on the beach to ensure that only BGBR guests use their sunbeds/umbrellas.Drinks are served on the beach if required.

BGBR does provide entertainment very similar to what Nevera has mentioned re WJ and whilst the watersports are not included because BGBR is not AI the provider (Saluna) are excellent.

Whilst Rodney Bay/Redruit beach is "busy" that is by St Lucian standards and it is still totally relaxing and you are easily able to chill out when you want to but also not get bored.

The staff at BGBR are fantastic and will organise all of your needs, they are always mentioned positively in reviews and I can personally vouch for their professional approach with a very friendly and enthusiastic touch.

In summary there is little to choose between the 2 hotels in terms of quality it s all about location. Beachfront and Rodney Bay with some action or Hillside, more secluded and an element of being confined to the site (or a large taxi/car hire bill). It is really your call. I hope Nevera and I have provided enough info for you to make an informed choice.

If you want any more info on BGBR please feel free to ask. There are some very good pics on their web site and I can confirm they are a true reflection of the hotel.

We are making our 4th visit (22nd to the Island) in July and cannot wait to get there.

STEVE

maryland
Level Contributor
162 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bay Gardens Beach Resort vs Windjammer Landing Villa Beach R

Thanks guys you both gave me great information it gonna be hard.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
806 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bay Gardens Beach Resort vs Windjammer Landing Villa Beach R

My husband and I first went to St Lucia few years ago and we were late 40's at the time we stayed at the Windjammer and really loved it - bought a timeshare that first time.

We also have stayed at the BGBR for a few days one trip. So I can compare the two.

We find the Windjammer to be more of an "experience", whereas BGBR is more of a "hotel". The shuttles that people complain of are opportunities to meet people for us. We would talk to people in the shuttles, and probably 75% of them had been at the Windjammer at least five times already - one couple was on their 15th trip! There are so many activities that are associated with the resort that other guests are participating in that you have more opportunities to meet people.

I didn't get that feeling at the BGBR. Our room was decent (although our view was of a vacant lot with some trash in it), the pool was nice, the restaurant was decent, so I can't complain about BGBR. But I really felt it was a place to stay while you went around town or the island, as opposed to a destination in itself.

So it really depends on the experience you are after. If you want to spend the entire trip zip lining, snorkeling, climbing the Pitons, visiting Pigeon Island, etc, then a hotel is probably enough. But if you want a place where you can hang out and not get bored, then I would recommend the Windjammer.

Edited: 24 June 2011, 02:30
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
806 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bay Gardens Beach Resort vs Windjammer Landing Villa Beach R

By the way, I do have to respectfully disagree with BigSteve - the newer part of Windjammer is much nicer than BGBR. So it is not really all about location. We have a brand-new two-level, two-bedroom private villa way above sea level with a kitchen, living room, dining room, huge private deck, and an infinity edge pool. Each bedroom has a private bath and private deck, and there is also a third bathroom with a shower, and a washer and dryer. BGBR was a nice bedroom on the second floor of a beach-level hotel with an eat-in kitchen and living area (i do not recall about washer and dryer) BGBR is very nice, but they are different in many more ways than just location.

I am not trying to start any "heated discussions" over which is better, just pointing out how they are different.

A word of caution, though, if you do decide on the Windjammer I would recommend you request one of their newer rooms or villas - the older ones are a little more rustic, although I have heard they are getting renovated.

Edited: 24 June 2011, 05:28
maryland
Level Contributor
162 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bay Gardens Beach Resort vs Windjammer Landing Villa Beach R

Pussuskattus,

Thanks I love this sight because you can alway get great people like yourself to give you very good information that would close the case one way or other. I think I'm gonna go with windjammer for the experience of meeting and greeting as well as the free water aerobics, banana boat rides and tubing, snorkel trips, sailing, kayaks, water trikes, mixology class.

Pokeno

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bay Gardens Beach Resort vs Windjammer Landing Villa Beach R

Hi, another owner here! Whilstnot perfect Windjammer would give you a social experience and , if you go on the snorkelling trips etc you will meet people. Tge staff are friendly too. Try to book the Hibiscus suite or the newer fourplexes as these are sealed units so less of a mossie problem . Have fun!

maryland
Level Contributor
162 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bay Gardens Beach Resort vs Windjammer Landing Villa Beach R

Hi St-Lucia_Enth...

Would you suggest the all inclusive or explore the dining in Rodney Bay as well as exploring the island with a rental car.

Thanks

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bay Gardens Beach Resort vs Windjammer Landing Villa Beach R

Maybe the breakfast only plan so you are free to do what you want. If you intending to drink a lot go AI but otherwise not. You can still eat at Windjammer abd pay as you go and you can also then have the chance to go to places like CLiff at Cap, Jacques, Delirios , jambe de bois on pigeon island etc or sample some of the locak food at Laurels, Triangle, Lime etc.

maryland
Level Contributor
162 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bay Gardens Beach Resort vs Windjammer Landing Villa Beach R

thanks St-Lucia_Enth if you think of anything else you think I should know please let me no.