We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for locals to take us out sailing

Anchorage, Alaska
6 posts
Save Topic
looking for locals to take us out sailing

my girlfriend and i will be in st lucia 8/2-8/11, we would really like to get out sailing with another couple or just friendly people , were 22/25.

anyone know where we could look for contacting people like this? wed be happy to offer $$, dinner and/or drinks for fun people to take us out and show us around :)

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,175 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for locals to take us out sailing

it would help to know which end of the island you are staying at. in order to make some recommendations.

Anchorage, Alaska
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: looking for locals to take us out sailing

we can travel to any point of the island, we will be staying in Rodney Bay :)

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,448 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looking for locals to take us out sailing

Hi Ryan. We went with Solar Tours and paid around $ 600 between four of us, 47 ft Jeanneau Odessy. I am sure Reed Princess will be able to help you but I can get the details for you if you wish. We had a skipper but did most of the sailing ourselves which is what we wanted.

Anchorage, Alaska
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: looking for locals to take us out sailing

yea im not looking for a business, im looking to meet and sail with locals or people traveling in the area via sailboat. not looking for a business, looking for personal individuals that sail regularly

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,175 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: looking for locals to take us out sailing

you may be able to find someone in the Rodney Bay area, especially if you go over to the actual Rodney Bay Marina - about 5 minutes up the highway from rodney Bay Village. Most people who sail around here do so as a business, so finding someone to just hang out with may be tough. Then again, everyone I know who owns a boat is always looking for a reason to be on the water - any day at sea is better than any day in the office! Definitely head over to the Marina one day - great deli and boardwalk bar, you may find someone to help you out.Spinnakers also draws a lot of the yacht folks, may find some folks there. Otherwise, you are looking at a hire.

Enjoy your trip!

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: looking for locals to take us out sailing

The only "local" sailboats I have seen that were not charters were a racing fleet off Reduit Beach. They were of a local design and the crew would hike themselves out on planks and logs extended out over the windward side. Some of the spars were made from bamboo and we saw a couple with broken masts. Don't know if you would be able to arrange a ride on one of those, it would be a very wet one if you did. You could try the marina as suggested, there are a lot of yachties there. I would suggest going to the bar and chatting someone up. You could also post a notice on the bulliten board. As for meeting locals to hang out with, just go to any of the bars on the strip and you will meet people. Happy day bar, at the end of the strip was very popular with the local crowd when we were there.

Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: looking for locals to take us out sailing

You could try contacting the St Lucia Yacht Club:

http://stluciayachtclub.com/

Tel : +758-452-8350

Michele

8. Re: looking for locals to take us out sailing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 22:17