We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jade Mountain - Lizards??????? HELP!!!

Long Island
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Jade Mountain - Lizards??????? HELP!!!

We are planning a 8 night trip to Jade Mountain for our anniversary and I am now starting to freak out thinking about lizards and bugs etc. Does anyone have any information regarding this situation? Getting cold feet. HELP!!!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jade Mountain - Lizards??????? HELP!!!

If they are anything like the ones at Ladera they are tiny little geckos that don't want anything to do with humans either.. They scurry away quickly! Go and enjoy St Lucia is amazing!!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jade Mountain - Lizards??????? HELP!!!

If they are anything like the ones at Ladera they are tiny little geckos that don't want anything to do with humans either.. They scurry away quickly! Go and enjoy St Lucia is amazing!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jade Mountain - Lizards??????? HELP!!!

The lizards are usually very small, and much more frightened of humans than humans are of them. They will also eat any insects that might be around.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
13,394 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jade Mountain - Lizards??????? HELP!!!

Geckos are all over the island - fairly small (palm of the hand, give or take) and eat bugs. They will skitter away from you and are more afraid of the giant than you are of them. With only 3 walls, you will have some bugs - actually, even with 4 walls and tight screens, you will still have some bugs.

At Jade, we didn't find the bugs/mosquitos to be very much at all - the beds have mosquto netting and the ceiling fans help keep things at bay. The main "bug" are sugar ants -which you will find everywhere all over the island - basically, don't leave food out, they will find it! After room service, call for your tray to be picked up ASAP or put it outside the door. They are not poisonous or dangerous, just annoying!

Don't worry - you will have a tremendous time - Jade is amazing!

5. Re: Jade Mountain - Lizards??????? HELP!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 August 2011, 14:38
Phila, PA
Level Contributor
201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jade Mountain - Lizards??????? HELP!!!

Seriously, bats and snakes. I'm sure a resort would get away with charging what Jade does if they had a bat or snake problem. I bet you would be hard pressed to find a single person on this site that has seen the fluer-de-lance in St Lucia. No need to scare off customers.

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,621 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jade Mountain - Lizards??????? HELP!!!

It is most unlikely that a fluer-de-lance snake would make it to Jade Mountain, also, they are not very common. The geckos are very shy. We had one in our room at Jade during our last stay there and it stayed near a light all the time catching tiny insects that flew near it. It was not spooky at all - in fact we loved watching it.

The biggest nuisance are the birds that are very bold and will eat any food left out!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jade Mountain - Lizards??????? HELP!!!

Believe me – lizards are a good thing! They feed on the critters with more than four legs and keep the room free of those pests and keep the surrounding general population in check. Having lived in a semi-tropical climate, I’ve come to think that all guest rooms should have their own assigned lizard.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,164 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jade Mountain - Lizards??????? HELP!!!

We had a couple of little geckos hanging out in our room at La Haut. They won't bother you at all. They're actually kind of cute and when you see the size of the roaches you'll be happy to have a gecko eat them or chase them off.

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,621 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jade Mountain - Lizards??????? HELP!!!

I have never seen a roach in the sanctuaries at Jade!

Seavale I totally agree with you. A resident lizard or gecko is a good thing. They also follow laser spots!!!

Edited: 17 August 2011, 21:26