We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Power Outlets, 110 or 120?

4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Power Outlets, 110 or 120?

I'm sure this has come up before, but I can't seem to find a definite answer. My fiancé and I will be visiting Sandals La Toc in St Lucia soon, and will be bringing various items that will require power. We are from the states, so everything have is an Edison-style 110 plug. Will we be needing any type of power converters? Thank you everybody!

Lexington...
Level Contributor
230 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Power Outlets, 110 or 120?

When we stayed at Halcyon, they had outlets for BOTH voltages. We did not need adapters.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Power Outlets, 110 or 120?

Thought it was 220v ? can somebody confirm.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,579 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Power Outlets, 110 or 120?

from the Sandals website:

"Electric Current

220 volts, 50 cycles in St. Lucia. But don't worry, we provide 110 volts outlets in every room, so all your electric items will work just fine. Hair dryers are already included in every room, so you may leave that out of your packing list."

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Power Outlets, 110 or 120?

Great thanks! Sounds like a Euro power grid with converters in the room.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,424 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Power Outlets, 110 or 120?

You don't need a converter. Sandals La Toc has 110 and 220 in the rooms. We have never needed a converter at any resort on St. Lucia (at least so far)

long island
Level Contributor
295 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Power Outlets, 110 or 120?

I will be staying at a guesthouse and I know that they only have 'St. Lucian' power outlets. What device would I need to purchase to plug in my battery charger? The owners might have something I could borrow, but I am curious what would be needed to use the outlets with US-made electronic items.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,579 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Power Outlets, 110 or 120?

I know absolutely nothing about electricity, but did a little research.

If your appliance has only been built for our US and Canadian voltage which is 110-120 volts, then you will need a converter to avoid burning out the appliance. Different from that, but also to be considered are the different shaped sockets compared to ours. For that you will need a plug adaptor. I'm hoping nevera or reedprincess can confirm my info for you.

Both converters and plug adaptors are easily found in dept stores (luggage section) or travel places such as CAA/AAA.

Here is a site which might help:

www.adaptelec.com/index.php…

florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
764 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Power Outlets, 110 or 120?

Most guest houses or rental homes have 220 power but also usually provide at least one transformer. And keep in mind that most electronics can run on 120 to 240 -- just look at one of them and read power specifications -- in that tiny print !! You would need a plug adaptor but these can be picked up in any travel catalogue or from a travel store (AAA). I'd suggest you check with your host though before going out to purchase something. Should you need a transformer, be sure that you buy one specified for what you are plugging in. For instance, a hair dryer or curling iron takes an entirely different one than one for a phone charger. Check your watts ----

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,904 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Power Outlets, 110 or 120?

If the Sandals resorts have both 110 and 220 outlets, do we need to be concerned with which outlet we use for any given appliance? Like for an Ipod, or a cell phone, or yes, even a hairdryer? I usually bring a travel one as it is still stronger than what is provided in the room. And so many times it seems like the outlets are never in convenient locations within the rooms.

I'm completely in the dark (no pun intended!) when it comes to electricity. Thanx in advance for your patience educating me.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,579 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Power Outlets, 110 or 120?

Winnekini...I recall bringing an adaptor/converter when we went to SGSL several years ago, but I don't remember that we needed to use it. However, at that time my camera ran on cell batteries and my hubby shaved with a safety razor. Now we use rechargers for both our camera and electric razor.

I will send RandBTravel a note to see if he can pop on here to help us out since he was there in March!