We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in St Lucia - Marigot Bay

Tunbridge Wells...
Level Contributor
49 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
First time in St Lucia - Marigot Bay

Hi all

My boyfriend and I have just booked a trip to St Lucia using his Dad's timeshare. We'll be staying at Oasis Marigot. Having never been to the Caribbean, I'm a bit anxious about costs for everything!! And we can't afford to do luxury - we just want to explore the island and have a bit of a relax! So, if there's anyone who can help...

1. I know that the Oasis Marigot is secluded, but is it really necessary to hire a car? Could we just hire a car for a few days and make the most of that time?

2. How much are taxi's say to Castries, Rodney Bay or Soufriere?

3. Are water taxi's an expensive way of getting to beaches?

4. I've read about a few restaurants in Marigot Bay, are there any cheaper ones or even street food in the evenings?

5. We're planning on making the most of the self-catering - how easy will it be to pick up food? Does anyone know if there's a bbq at Oasis Marigot (Vacation club villas)?

Thanks in advance for any advice - plus if there's anything else that you think I'd find helpful, feel free to comment!

florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
760 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in St Lucia - Marigot Bay

Many come to Marigot and never bother to rent a car. From where you are staying, you'll be able to walk to everything -- nine restaurants/bars, grocery, small bank, dive shop, watersports rentals, beach, spas, etc. If you want you could rent for one day to take a tour to the south-- cost about $80-90 with all extra costs; there is a rental agency right in the bay that can do that. Or a taxi tour quided to same; all day -- about $130-140. Water taxis are not inexpensive but Oasis can handle this for you and gather others interested'; then the cost goes down. To the left of the ferry dock if you are on land there is a small local shack with great food but only open for breakfast and lunch. Some of the restaurants serve lower priced meals at night. Julietta's, JDs, or JJ's plaza could meet your needs for cheaper food. Good pizza at Rowley bakery on the dock -- you can take out too. No BBQ at Oasis -- last I knew. You can get food at the Marigourmet in the bay or drive about 15 minutes to a supermarket in Cul de Sac.

Lenoir NC
Level Contributor
18 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in St Lucia - Marigot Bay

Hello, I am an Owner at oasis and also have a home at Marigot. It is not necessary to rent a car for your whole trip, but for a few days to get around the island may be the economical way to go. Taxi's both land and water are expensive. On your way to marigot you will pass a grocery in Cul-D-sac..ask your driver to stop there for groceries, alternatively there is a small grocery at Marigot. There is good local food available at the end of the beach from ET & Aisha and also there is a good local lunch right by the ferry dock on the south side..lots of food for a small price usually chicken or fish. There are no grills at Oasis. enjoy your stay.

3. Re: First time in St Lucia - Marigot Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2013, 10:21