We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA flight to St Lucia

Johnstone, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
253 reviews
Save Topic
BA flight to St Lucia

Usually go with Virgin but offered a great deal using BA.

Anyone any feedback on their service and facilities on what I believe is a Boeing 777 for this route.

Going standard class.

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA flight to St Lucia

Usual long haul economy seat - don't forget to join the BA Ececutive club to get your Avios - might be enough for a short haul flight.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,233 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA flight to St Lucia

It's a really great experience from start to finish and they fly into UVF daily unlike VS. Service is flawless, food good and IFEs which actually work. You won't be disappointed. It's a much less farm-like atmosphere in economy with only 127 seats unlike Virgin with a whopping 379 seats in economy alone. As the previous poster has said, join the Executive Club to collect Avios Points good on any oneworld airline.

Have a great time!

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA flight to St Lucia

Further to my post above - I see you're based in Ayrshire - Ba's St lucia flight goes from Gatwick (as does Virgin's) so do make sure your connecting flight goes into there. As the flight (and Virgin's) goes at something like 10 in the morning you might have to come down the night before and stay in a hotel unless you can get an early morning flight. Are they offering a through fare from your local airport - if it's all on one booking you have more protection if things go wrong (like the current snow) and if it's a BA flight you're coming down on your bgs will go straight through so you won't have to worry about them at Gatwick. Always keep a spare set of clothes in your carry on.

Another advantage of BA is their luggage allowance - hold luggage is 23kgs (Virgin probably the same) but you can also carry on 23kgs subject to size restrictions and liquids etc. You can put your heavy things like books, shoes etc in your carry on. This will only work if you're BA all the way of course as in you fly say Easyjet down you'll be constricted by their rules.

Johnstone, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA flight to St Lucia

Many thanks...frequent flyer with BA so Avios already sorted. Silver status means double luggage but thanks or the heads up.

Fingers crossed flight a bit quieter and we can stretch out.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
3,776 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA flight to St Lucia

we flew to st lucia from manchester via BA. Our luggage went through to the destination which is good as you do not want to worry about collection at Gatwick as it is not the best of airports if you are connecting on the same day. you do have a nervous few minutes next to the carousel in st lucia waiting to see if your bags were transfered onto your flight. have a nice time

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,233 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA flight to St Lucia

You're welcome PMACCA...

If you're BA Silver, why fly with Virgin?

Edited: 05 February 2012, 16:04
Johnstone, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA flight to St Lucia

Hi all, thanks again for the feedback.

Flying down from Glasgow night before so check in and drop bags off with BA around 4pm when we reach Gatwick...always concerned with the 2 hour window when catching the important connection, fly Gatwick and Heathrow route with work and the first flight Glasgow to Gatwick usually parks on an international stand meaning coaches etc etc so easier to go down night before and Heathrow you spend more time going round in circles waiting to land however T5 very good and getting a lot slicker.

BGI..hope the sun is shining in Barbados if thats where you are, not been there for a long time,might need to consider for Xmas or 2013...reason for Ba rather than Virgin is simply cost, BA offered free internal flights saving close on £500 so Virgin lost out, also feel Virgin standards have dropped in last few years, came back upper class from St Lucia 2 years ago and really wasn't impressed...just glad I didnt pay the going rate!!!

Leeds, UK
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: BA flight to St Lucia

hi folks, my wife and i are flying from gatwick to st lucia with b.a. in the summer. can yone confirm as to whether those flights carry the new first class suite or as i suspect, not?

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA flight to St Lucia

Devilingray - BA don't have First suites - the new First class is just an upgrade on the old First - still very comfortable. Not all flights to St Lucia have First - only a couple of times a week I think.

PMACCA - yes Silver gets you extra luggage - actually 3x32kgs so you don't have any worries on that front.

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BA flight to St Lucia

I have just got back from St Lucia. We flew Virgin and BA flights were apparently late twice by about 5-6 hours. Our Virgin flights were very good this time - flew out Upper Class and came back Premium but the old premium seats are uncomfortable now Service was great both ways. Some previous experiences with Virgin have not been so good.

Unfortunately, both times we tried BA the flights were late so tended to stick with Virgin. Always up for a change if the price is right though!