We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime in St. Lucia

New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Topic
Crime in St. Lucia

We went on a Cruise in February where we stopped in St. Lucia as one of the ports. My wife and I decided to walk from our Cruise ship to the nearest beach. We decided to walk because most, if not all, of the taxi drivers were as high as a kite. There was a nice beach/park about a 1 mile walk near airport landing strip. After about an hour at the beach we were approached by a native St. Lucian. He told us to give him money for protection or we would be in danger. More or less threating us. I am 6'3" and 230 lbs. and when I stood up he was very surprised at my size. But, we thought we would walk away because we did not know how many more of them there were.

We shared this story with some friends of ours that just returned from a similar cruise this March. They several people on their Cruise ship that were robbed of over $300 dollars when they walked downtown. Needless to say, WE WILL NEVER RETURN TO ST. LUCIA! The beaches are just as nice in other Carribean islands it is not worth it.

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,467 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime in St. Lucia

Sounds like you are a troll trying to instill fear in people. I've been going for 10 years, travel via public transportation on my own, walk the streets alone (but never at night), engage people along the way and have never had anything like you describe happen. Hmmmm.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
328 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime in St. Lucia

I am with you Nevera....We have been going for 10 years too, use public buses, and never come across a drugged up taxi driver either. You just have to wonder at some people.St Lucia remains our favourite island and unless you make a target of yourself, IMO is pretty safe.

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Vieux Fort, Gros Islet
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime in St. Lucia

Ditto.

In 25 visits to St Lucia I have never had any trouble on the beaches nor around Castries.

Of course normal caution should be excercised, don't flash the cash, avoid certain areas especially certain areas of Castries, be careful at night etc

And whilst there are isolated incidents IMO St Lucia is much safer than many Caribbean Islands

STEVE

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Castries
Castries
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Toronto
Level Contributor
5,164 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime in St. Lucia

"We decided to walk because most, if not all, of the taxi drivers were as high as a kite." How could you possibly know this? Sounds like you're exaggerating and the story about people being robbed doesn't ring true either.

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,615 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime in St. Lucia

With all this experience of other Caribbean islands the OP has one post.........

To new visitors. We frequently take taxis from the rank at Castries and the only issues we have are with understandably keen drivers who want to offer tours to the Pitons etc. they get a bit disappointed when we say we are only having a local journey!

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Castries
Castries
St. Lucia
Pitons
Pitons
1,642 Reviews
St. Lucia
BC
Level Contributor
233 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Crime in St. Lucia

One cannot determine if Jim Minn is a pseudo-name or not but there is no such listing in the St Paul Minnesota telephone directory. I wanted to question some of his comments.

Have only been to St Paul once but question how St Lucia can be deemed dangerous in comparison.

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Level Contributor
255 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crime in St. Lucia

We just returned from st. Lucia and felt safe when we were there. We were nervous before our trip from reading some of the negative posts and reviews. In fact we were scared into even switching hotels before we went on the trip. I would say that we became extra careful as a result. This was my 8th Caribbean island, and we took taxis all over st lucia, the taxi drivers here are more professional and knowledgeable than I've seen on other islands. I did notice that security for the hotels and attractions are tighter than on other islands I've been to. I also believe that sh*t can happen to you anywhere and anytime, so you should enjoy st. Licia if you are lucky enough to get there.

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Crime in St. Lucia

nevera, yeah that's my goal instill fear in people. Is nevera short for naive?

When you get a chance to get out of your lounge chair at your 4-star hoel with guards, take a walk down Vigie Beach. Lay down a beach towel to relax and watch the native people come out of the woods. They are not visiting you to say Hi. You are in an isolated area and they want your money. They were hassling anyone that walked in that area. One lady was sitting by herself reading a book, when two men came out of the woods and started giving her a hardtime. I had to walk over there and tell them to leave her alone.

We did report our incident to the cruise ship. The cruise customer service said they have had people report a lot of problems on St. Lucia. And they recommend people only carry a very small amount of cash. Yeah, sounds like a nice place!

Mentioned in this post
Vigie Beach
Vigie Beach
58 Reviews
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,467 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crime in St. Lucia

Hey JimMinn - Do you visit isolated areas in St. Paul? I surely don't visit them where I live so why would I do it when I am on vacation. No, I am not naive. I travel often but use common sense. Unfortunately common sense is not very common.

Edited: 26 March 2012, 15:43
New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Crime in St. Lucia

As for the others that commented on how safe St. Lucia is, don't tell travelers on this website that everything is great! Because it is not. Otherwise you would not be using phrase such as; "caution should be exercised", "don't flash money", "avoid certain areas", go for a walk "But never at night". Are you kidding me?

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean