We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Lucia help please

New York, NY
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Topic
St. Lucia help please

My wife is pregnant and we are planning 1 last romantic Pre-baby trip aka Babymoon :)

St. Lucia is looking like a great option. Looking for some help.

Below is a little information about us and the trip

- Potential travel dates: April 21st to April 28th.

- What do we want to do: Relax for most part, not too many activities as wife is pregnant. I may do a couple of things by myself. Enjoy the beach as much as possible

- Looking to stay within the $5K range

Whats important

- A nice beach with cabanas/ umbrellas and comfortable beach chairs...wife's number 1 priority (she will compare this to Aruba..her current favorite. we stayed at the Hyatt Regency)

- Good luxurious accommodations/ resort as that's where a lot of the time will be spent

- Availability of good food round the clock... Wife is pregnant remember :)

- East access to other island attractions/ sight seeing.

Some questions

- Need some resort recommendations based on above information

- Some suggestions on things my wife can do. Probably limited to sight seeing, local shopping, etc. Any suggestions for activities for me limited to early mornings/ half days, etc. so i can spend some time with my wife afterwards.

- Thoughts on the Sandals Butler rooms at the Halcyon

- I am reading that the age group of guests of the Halcyon is must older. Is this true?

- Anything else I should know/ prepare for.

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
madison wisconsin
Level Contributor
926 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Lucia help please

I would look into the Jalouise in the south side, smack dab between the Pitons. Gorgeous beach, cabanas, super comfy loungers. I think that would tick all your boxes. Wife can go for a relaxing spa day while you can go do the adventure type things on that side of the island, climb the Pitons, ATV, ziplining, etc. Here's their website.

http://www.jalousieplantation.com/

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Pitons
Pitons
1,657 Reviews
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
13,445 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Lucia help please

Yup - that was going to be my suggestion too. All the rooms or villas have private plunge pools and butler service at no extra cost, lovely beach, super comfy chairs, amazing spa and you are right near all the hiking, ziplining, etc. as opposed to an hour drive from Sandals.

For the price- it is right close to the same price as a butler room at Sandals and a much, much more luxurious experience, along with the amazing views and setting being right between the Pitons.

Edited: 29 March 2012, 21:18
Mentioned in this post
Pitons
Pitons
1,657 Reviews
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
13,445 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Lucia help please

ps: look especially at the Sugar Mill or Luxury Sugar Mill rooms - easy walking distance to the beach, spa and restaurants. The villas are on the pretty steep hillside - mostly you will wait for a shuttle to take you back and forth.

Enjoy!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Lucia help please

Forgot to mention, room on the beach will be a huge plus..

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
13,445 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Lucia help please

yeah - kind of figured that, especially when you threw out the option of the Sandals butler room at Halcyon.

the rooms at Jalousie are all considered beachfront as the resort fronts the beach - they have a few bungalows actually on the beach, but at $1500-$2000 a night, I am guessing out of the price range! The Sugarmill rooms are the next closest to the beach - about a 3-5 minute walk.

Mentioned in this post
Jalousie Beach
Jalousie Beach
265 Reviews
St. Lucia
New York, NY
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Lucia help please

Any thoughts on the Sandals room?

Level Contributor
255 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Lucia help please

Hi there,

We just returned from St. Lucia, a few thoughts: this island is very mountainous and the roads are very windy, its probably the opposite of Aruba in that aruba is relatively flat. The island is also less developed and much more rural n rugged than Aruba is. For instance, the main highway that is used to get around the island has no guardrails. There are few traffic lights as well. The sand is not white here, its a volcanic island. Most hotels and resorts are spread out and secluded, the only part that in any way resembles palm or eagle beach in aruba is rodney bay. There is one strip w hotels next to one another, close by is the Sandals.

As for your budget, you can probably maintain it if you stay at a moderately priced hotel or do an all inclusive. The taxis are super expensive here, food prices at slightly lower than ny prices.

I guess what I'm saying is to do more research before you settle on St. Lucia. We travelled here as a young couple and enjoyed most of what the island has to offer in terms of physical demanding activities like hiking, zipling, snorkeling etc. I'm not sure I would've chosen this island if I was pregnant.

Edited: 30 March 2012, 04:15
Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Rodney Bay
Rodney Bay
988 Reviews
St. Lucia
Level Contributor
255 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Lucia help please

Hi there,

We just returned from St. Lucia, a few thoughts: this island is very mountainous and the roads are very windy, its probably the opposite of Aruba in that aruba is relatively flat. The island is also less developed and much more rural n rugged than Aruba is. For instance, the main highway that is used to get around the island has no guardrails. There are few traffic lights as well. The sand is not white here, its a volcanic island. Most hotels and resorts are spread out and secluded, the only part that in any way resembles palm or eagle beach in aruba is rodney bay. There is one strip w hotels next to one another, close by is the Sandals.

As for your budget, you can probably maintain it if you stay at a moderately priced hotel or do an all inclusive. The taxis are super expensive here, food prices at slightly lower than ny prices.

I guess what I'm saying is to do more research before you settle on St. Lucia. We travelled here as a young couple and enjoyed most of what the island has to offer in terms of physical demanding activities like hiking, zipling, snorkeling etc. I'm not sure I would've chosen this island if I was pregnant.

Edited: 30 March 2012, 04:16
Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Rodney Bay
Rodney Bay
988 Reviews
St. Lucia
New York, NY
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Lucia help please

Jalousie seems out of question. Pricing on the websites give me Jalousie to be about $2200 more than the sandals Romeo & Juliet Butler room.

Any other suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Jalousie Beach
Jalousie Beach
265 Reviews
St. Lucia
Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,474 posts
127 reviews