We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FIrst time traveller

Boston
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
FIrst time traveller

Hi,

my boyfriend and I are considering maybe St. Lucia in November we are considering either sandals La Toc or Sandals St. Lucian. The only thing with the latter is that is a long ride from the airport. I heard something about helicopter rides to the resort? Does anyone have any info on this at all? Thanks

Terry

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FIrst time traveller

St Lucia Helicopters - http://www.stluciahelicopters.com - flies a shuttle from Hewannora Airport (UVF) to George Charles Airport (SLU). Cost is $145 - $155 depending on which route is chosen - all passengers have to agree to flying the more expensive and much more scenic west coast route. You take your carry-on with you and your luggage follows you in their van. From SLU it is about 25 minutes to Sandals. The shuttle can be arranged through Sandals and they will pick you up at SLU, otherwise a taxi will cost about $15 to La Toc and about $25 to Grand St Lucian.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: FIrst time traveller

thanks a lot think that is probably the way to go appreciate the info

Terry

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: FIrst time traveller

you're welcome. If you decide to book the helicopter shuttle keep in mind that the shuttle flights are first come first served and it is a pretty popular option, so it's possible you may have to wait for a second or even third flight, if you're not some of the first people to clear customs.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,896 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: FIrst time traveller

Keep in mind - all 3 Sandals Resorts are in the north of the island - 1.15-1.5 hours form the international airport. The helicopter is a great option if you want to avoid the roads - but not necessarily a time saver, as gdbear noted above. It is first come/first served, so unless you are one of the first people out of immigration and customs, you will have to wait for your turn - and it can occasionally be up to an hour or so for the wait.

Your luggage follows by van and takes between 3 and 4 hours to get to your resort - make sure to change any vital items over from suitcase to carry on - bathing suit/sunscreen, paperwork, medications, etc. Your carry on goes with you on the chopper.

Enjoy - definitely try to get everyone on your flight to do the West Coast tour for an extra $10pp - great views of the Ptions/West Coastline.

Have a great trip!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: FIrst time traveller

thank you bear and reed princess that is good to know so I guess you cannot make advance reservations? if not that is okay no problem either way will get their safely thanks again.

Terry

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: FIrst time traveller

Actually, it is advisable to make reservations to ensure you get on a flight, its just that the reservation won't be for a particular flight - I hope that makes sense. And I believe when you factor in the cost of a taxi from SLU the cost of booking through Sandals is about the same or maybe even a bit less.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,896 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: FIrst time traveller

Yes, you can - and should - make advance reservations. But this gives you seats on the helicopter, but not at a particular time, etc. Once you clear customs and immigration, you head for the St. Lucia Helicopters stands and they send you off on the chopper in the order you arrive. So, first ones through customs, etc are first on, then the next, etc. There may or may not be folks still waiting from a flight that arrived before you, etc. No way to know till the actual day how long your wait may be. But you do need a reservation.

Enjoy!

8. Re: FIrst time traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2013, 05:17