We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Butlers at Sandals

Orangeville, Ill
Level Contributor
422 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Butlers at Sandals

My son and his wife are going to Sandals(not sure which one) but they are having a butler. They were wondering if they nee to tip him every day or if the end of the week is good? Also what should they tip. we have never had a butler so I have no idea.. thanks for your help!

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
13,426 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Butlers at Sandals

tipping is totally at their discretion and you will get lots of different answers. Here are some fairly recent threads on tipping butlers at Sandals resorts:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147343-i282-k4952…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147342-i247-k4068…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147343-i282-k5381…

Tipping procedure and amounts, etc. would be the same regardless of which Sandals they are staying at. Again, it is totally at their discretion. Thos threads should give you, and them, a good idea of the practice though. Hope they enjoy their trip!

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Butlers at Sandals

We always tip at the end of our stay. I know some people like to tip part way thru, but we choose to do it at the end.

I have not looked at the above threads, but a great way to handle the tip is by bringing a couple of thank you cards with them. They can place the cash in the card, and write a nice thank you note, and then give it to their butler(s) at the end of their stay (or whenever). They can also add the amount on to their bill at checkout, and specify how much each individual butler is to receive.

They will have two butlers (very rarely, a third butler assists). General recommended tip is in the area of $20 per butler per day range, with the amount being adjusted up or down as the guest feels is appropriate. We have always found that one butler does much more than the other, and in that case we have adjusted accordingly. If your son and DIL use their butlers a lot, they may want to increase the amount; if they use them very little, they may want to decrease the amount. It really is at their discretion, as Reedprincess stated.

Orangeville, Ill
Level Contributor
422 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Butlers at Sandals

thanks for you replies. they are going on their honeymoon and have never been to a all inclusive. I have been to all inclusives but have never had a butler so didnt know if you tip like you would the housekeeper or bartenders or what. I will let them know. Thanks so much..

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Butlers at Sandals

Agree with Winnekini. $20 a day per butler is a good gauge. If their service is above and beyond, tip more and if their service isn't great then determine what it was worth. We had one superb butler and one that needed to go back to Butler school for remedial work IMO so we certainly did not tip them the same.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,761 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Butlers at Sandals

just to add to the great advice above (and haven't read the links to know if I posted in them)...I bring blank cards where I can write a personal thank you to each butler, being sure to mention something outstanding our butler did for us. We also ensure we find out which day each butler has their last shift with us, so that we can personally hand each the card with the cash inside and to give them a thank you hug!

Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Butlers at Sandals

Hi illinoisKim,

When your son and his wife are putting together their thoughts on what to tip the butler's, especially if trying to use a per day guide line of $20 + - a day per butler, additional.... $300 +/- for the week for two butlers....on top of the fact that they have very likely... paid a premium price for the butler service to Sandals to begin with...?

I'd advise they.... keep in mind all the other ~additional~ costs and ~tipping~ possibilities they may also encounter or need to think about at least if budgeting additional costs and or tip money for the trip.

Costs and Tips: for Sandals airport transportation driver, spa treatment costs plus tips, cabana bed rental cost at La Toc and or private dinner on the beach, cost plus tip (serviced by other staff/butlers) the additional cost if golfing at Sandals, with a mandatory caddie/fees plus tip, any off site tours or taxi driver guided trips, etc. $60-$100++ p/p plus tip, additional fee to scuba, resort course or the refresher fee, typically $70 p/p, there's a seeming new super snorkel trip down to the Pitons @ $30 p/p, (which seems like a very reasonably priced Sandals snorkeling outing to the Pitons) possibly, being sold to guests in place of the included snorkeling?

Sandals on site photographer photos (probably hard to pass up when your on a honeymoon) $12/$15 each, Internet access fee per day or a weekly rate, Sandals on site philanthropic resort activity costs $15 p/p +?, etc,.

Mentioned in this post
Pitons
Pitons
1,654 Reviews
St. Lucia
7. Re: Butlers at Sandals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 07:19