We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
tipping

we are visiting st lucia in jan 2013 we are staying in coconut bay can anyone tell me what the policy is on tipping we stayed in Royal hibicos in cuba in july this year and tipping was an every day occurrance thanks for any help

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,150 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping

If you want to show your gratitude I think it would be ok to give small gifts but not money - CB has a strict no tipping policy - employees are reprimanded for accepting tips.

BC
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping

What is the policy at Morgan Bay Resort? Assumed there would be tipping!

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,858 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping

All of the AI resorts on the island include tips in the price of your vacation. The employees share in a tip pool at several of the resorts (C-Bay, Morgan, etc) and get a portion of your service charge - which you have already paid as part of your taxes. Morgan Bay is not as strict as others about no tipping, but they do advocate no tipping - it is supposed to be a stress free holiday. If you choose to slip a few bucks to your bartender or housekeeper in person - they are not facing as strict of restrictions as Sandals or C-Bay or Rendezvous, etc - but are still looking at reprimands if caught. That said - some people still choose to slip a few bucks here or there. Up to you. Not necessary though - you will get great (and the same) service either way. Best way to acknowledge an excellent employee is to, in writing, mention them to management and also to mention them here in your reviews on TA. I have several friends at different resorts who have received gifts and bonuses based on TA reviews. The resorts do read them!

Mainly - tipping is included. If you feel the ned for further tipping, do it discreetly.

Enjoy your visits!

Isle of Skye, NW...
Level Contributor
419 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping

Many of the restaurants and non-AI resorts here appear to have got into the habit of adding a Service Charge to everything whether you want to tip or not. Its a very bad habit.

Even worse, with the new VAT, they total the bill, add the service charge, THEN calculate the tax! So you are now paying tax on a tip whether you want to tip or not.

BC
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping

Thanks for the help reedprincess, you are full of knowledge and very helpful!!

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,858 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping

double check your restaurant bills ARealHighlander - when we were up Rodney Bay early Oct, right after implementation, we checked our bills very carefully - they are not supposed to be charging VAT on the service charge portion. Also, the service charge portion is optional, it is in place of a tip - if you pay the service charge, there is no need to leave a tip. That is shared out amongst the employees.

The VAT should only be on the actual food amount - not service charge and not the 8% tax, We had to have one bill redone when I pulled out my phone's calculator and showed them their error. Good luck.. It is a contentious issue as the island's businesses and gov'ts figure out what the heck they are doing - and the general population gets used to it. Uness the law changed while we have been gone these past 2 weeks, there is not supposed to be VAT on service charge - so check carefully.

@ LeanneBC - glad to help.

Isle of Skye, NW...
Level Contributor
419 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping

Well I can tell you that chef xaviers in the Rodney Bay mall definately charged me vat on top of the service charge

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,098 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping

Bon jou Elmerfudpucker,

Some local restaurants add a Gratuity Tax, some don't.

In addition, VAT is an added 15% charge on goods & services, including restaurants.

For hotels/resorts VAT is 8%.

Although many service employees and the Government of St. Lucia don't ever receive it...

Bless up! Paul

9. Re: tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2014, 06:21