We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fregate island or Maria island for a day trip

New York
Level Contributor
115 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Fregate island or Maria island for a day trip

Hey All,

We are planning to be in St Lucia for 5 days in January. We are thinking doing a day trip to either Fregate or Maria islands (I think the National trust has the tours?)

Has anyone done these tours? What are your thoughts? Also, would you chose one over the other -- for late January?

Thanks

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,899 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fregate island or Maria island for a day trip

I would probably go with the Maria Islands trip- beautiful area of the island, beautiful islands, like your own island paradise. you do need to book through the National Trust. You can book just a few days or so in advance, doesn't need to be weeks in advance.

Enjoy - have a great time.

New York
Level Contributor
115 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fregate island or Maria island for a day trip

Thank you

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,424 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fregate island or Maria island for a day trip

Hi Parth. I have done this trip and it was wonderful. The boat ride can be a little choppy but the climb and tranquility are worth it. No facilities on the island so bring water etc. some quite good snorkelling too off the little sandy beach.

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
565 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fregate island or Maria island for a day trip

We were told they no longer do Fregate tours and the adjacent Eastern Nature Trail was eliminated due to the failed construction of, I think Paradis Resort.

St Lucia National Trust no longer considers the Fregate Islands one of their protected areas.

As for the Maria Islands, the trip was wonderful and unique. It is about a 3 hour trip once in the boat and the hike climbs only 200 vertical feet. It is now $75 EC per person with a minimum of 4. My wife and I just paid the amount for 4 and had a private tour. I would recommend calling them at least a few days in advance as they need to organize a guide as well as a boat and driver. The fishermen dropped us off and went fishing out of view so it is a true castaway experience (for a couple hours). The snorkeling was best on the right side if facing the water beyond where the beach is. The views are great and totally different from elsewhere on St Lucia. I particular liked looking up at Moule a chique peninsula which was surprising to know that we had actually driven up it the day before.

This is an extremely underutilized tour, so you would be one of few that have done it. We were the first in 5 months, partly due it being closed for part of the year and partly because no one did it even while it was open.

It is reviewed at tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147343-d1…

5. Re: Fregate island or Maria island for a day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2014, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about St. Lucia