We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ANOTHER St. Lucia Honeymoon Post

washington dc
7 posts
Save Topic
ANOTHER St. Lucia Honeymoon Post

Sorry All, I know this post type has been written ad nauseum. That said, I'd like to see if I can get my fiancee and I a more consolidated post for the questions we have.

First, we are looking for resort recommendations for our early June 2013 honeymoon. We are looking mostly in Southfriere, but won't shy away from Castries and other locations. Places high on our list are Ladera, Southfield, Ti Kaye. Looking at these bc they are near the Pitons, highly rated and recommended, and all have plunge pools (a MUST for our stay). Ladera seems the most luxurious, while stonefield and ti kaye seem a little less dedicated to luxurious ambiance but come with more space. So, looking for advice on these three as well as others of a similar ilk. Candidly, we've found air+hotel packages for all three at just under $5000, which is where we'd like to stay. AI isn't necessarily important to us unless other wants are also met.

Second, proximity to the beach (especially) and the natural beauty is really important (to me at least). Ladera seems right in the middle of the undulation, so this seems like it won't be an issue, but what of the beach? Is it at all walkable? I have seem Ladera has shuttle to the beach; is this the only way to get there in a reasonable amount of time? I've heard Ti Kaye and Stonefield are closer to their respective beaches, true?

Third, some have recommended splitting the honeymoon between north and south of the island. I mapped, and a drive from Ladera all the way to Pigeon Island is only an hour. My question, could renting a car for the duration of or portion of the trip better serve us to get around the island and seeing everything? I just worry the experience of staying at a resort not at the pitons just won't compare, and we could still see the island without moving around mid-honeymoon. Thoughts?

Lot to digest, but would REALLY appreciate educated insights. Thanks so much!

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,954 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ANOTHER St. Lucia Honeymoon Post

Bon jou ckfalls,

Ladera is located on the West Coast Road on a ridge between the Pitons high above Tides Sugar Beach/Jalousie Resort. Shuttle's faster than a looong walk to the beach.

Stonefield is located above Malgretoute Beach on the north side of the Petit Piton. Great snorkeling.

Ti Kaye is located above Anse Cochon between Canaries & Anse La Raye. Great snorkeling. No Piton view.

Driving from Ladera to Pigeon Island on the West Coast Road might look like a flat straight line but really is an up&down, twistycurvy trip that on a good day takes 1.5 - 2 hrs.

Bless up! Paul

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,891 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ANOTHER St. Lucia Honeymoon Post

Interesting choices! Keep in mind - Ti Kaye is not in Soufriere and has no views of the Pitons. It is about a 45 minute drive or 25 minute (fairly expensive) water taxi ride.

Stonefield is great, with the self catering villas, so you can stock up on snacks and drinks, maybe a few lunch items, etc. Beautiful views of the Petit Piton and of the ocean. You can walk down to Malgretoute Beach, but it is a steep walk back up. There are no facilities on the beach - no restaurant, bar, chairs or umbrellas, etc. Benny's is right near the beach for lunch - you would have to call to see if he's serving. Martha's Table is excellent for lunch and walking distance from Stonefield - but again, a steep uphill walk back up!! (at least 15-20 minutes back and steep!!)

Ladera is gorgeous - think luxury treehouse! It has stunning views, great rooms with the pirvate pools, good dining and easy walk across the street to Boucan at Hotel Chocolat for even better dining!! (must try) Most definitely not walking distance to the beach - you will need the shuttle or a rental car. The shuttle takes you to Jalouise beach where they provide some beach chairs - not the plush padded chairs for Jalousie guests, but much nicer than the free ones for day visitors. They have a great beachside restaurant and bar you can get drinks and lunch from.

Other options in the area to consider in the similar price to Ladera and the like would be Sugar Beach or Anse Chastenet. Both are right on the beach (albeit up the hillsides) with all ocean views rooms, etc. Anse Chastenet is eco-luxury with no A/C or pools, but amazing beaches, walk out snorkeling, huge grounds with plantation that grows the food for the resort, ruins, mountain biking, non-motorized watersports, etc. Sugar beach is more traditional with A/C in every room/villa, private pools and butler service for every room, amazing spa, etc. Both have several restaurants on-site (AC ha more than SB) and so on - Suger Beach is right between the Pitons and AC is across the bay with dramatic views. Both are excellent.

Good luck with the research - I am sure you will find the right place!

washington dc
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ANOTHER St. Lucia Honeymoon Post

Thanks for the reply. Have heard of AC and SB, but didn't know SB was in between the pitons, good to know!

washington dc
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ANOTHER St. Lucia Honeymoon Post

And on that note, does the stonefield ooze honeymoon like a ladera seems it would? This isn't a dealbreaker, just trying to make sure I balance cost and luxury. The future little lady wants this to feel very special.

Thanks!!

Edited: 03 January 2013, 19:00
St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,891 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ANOTHER St. Lucia Honeymoon Post

Stonefield is less of a resort feel over all as most all of the accommodations are private villas with their own kitchens, pools, etc. The restaurant is great (breakfast is wonderful and the other meals equally delish) but the overall feel is much less "resort like" as it is more of a do-it-yourself-ish, private experience - very little evening entertainment - like once or twice a week, no spa on-site (they can arrange a massuese though), and so on.

June is low season and SB has great specials during low season, some starting from $322 including breakfast and dinner - worth checking out. The sugar mill rooms are great and well located just steps from the beach, restaurants and spa (which, regardless of where you stay - you simply must visit. It is open to the public and amazing - the couple's massage treatment is fantastic!)

Ladera is luxury treehouse - ask yourself how she will do with no 4th wall, and wildlife occasionally making itself known in the room. We love it - but it's not for everyone! Birds and geckos will be around the room frequently - they usually give you a little squirt gun to fire at the birds and chase them off - but the geckos are your friends as they eat other bugs! But, some people find they really can't take it!

Keep in mind - of the 3 original resorts you were looking at - Stonefield would be the largest accommodations, even in the one-bedroom villas - they are full villas, not just cottages. Ti Kaye would probably be second on space, with Ladera 3rd - depending on room type. But again Ti Kaye is not near or have any views of the Pitons.

Definitely take a look at Sugar Beach - all rooms with good sized plunge pools, butler service, etc - very luxurious and definitely resort with non-motorized watersports, beautiful beach, some hiking around the property, late night bar, evening entertainment most nights, etcc.

Good luck with the research!!

washington dc
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: ANOTHER St. Lucia Honeymoon Post

Thanks for the help, another great post! Yes, she and I are hip to the wall (or lack thereof) situation at Ladera, and she seemed to think it fun and unique. We were worried about inclement weather, but figured the resort must have mitigated issues with the design of the rooms. Any truth to this? Birds and tiny lizards welcome!

So all rooms have a plunge pool?? That's huge news! SB is sounding better and better. We'll definitely dig more into that place...steps from the beach, in between the pitons, sounds good to me!

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,891 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ANOTHER St. Lucia Honeymoon Post

Yes, all rooms at SB have plunge pools ( good sized) and butlers, there is also a community pool right near the beach, all rooms have sundecks, large bedrooms and very large bathrooms, etc. Villas have separate sitting rooms, etc. Worth taking a look at.

Or, consider splitting your trip between Ladera and SB - the best of both worlds. While at Ladera, enjoy the volcano, the views, dinner across at Boucan, etc and then transfer down to SB for a few days of sheer relaxation. That may work well.

As for inclement weather, yes the rooms are all designed to mitigat rain inside the rooms - the beds and such are set back and there is a good overhang, and so on. No worries there - birds, geckos, etc., all do visit though!

Good luck - lots of very great choices - and just to throw one more out there - if your budgets can take it - Jade Mountain is my hands down first choice. Simply stunning, amazing huge rooms all with large, large plunge pools, major domos for every room, gourmet dining, along with all the options at Anse Chastenet lower down, quick shuttle or longer stairs walk down to the amazing AC beach, etc. Cannot be beat, true 5 star lucury and all with the no 4th wall concept - stunning!

Enjoy the research!!

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ANOTHER St. Lucia Honeymoon Post

not having stayed at either Ladera or Anse Chastanet my opinion is only based on observation, but I think you should look again at Anse Chastanet - it is arguably one of the most romantic settings in St Lucia - the octagonal hillside cottage-rooms are literally built in and around the rainforest and most are open on one side - http://www.ansechastanet.com/

You will also have access to two beaches where you can snorkel as well as numerous hiking trails, jungle-bikingand sea-kayaking. As an added bonus much of the food served comes from an organic farm owned by the resort.

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,424 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ANOTHER St. Lucia Honeymoon Post

Just to throw something else into your equation, there is an arrangement between Ladera and Cap Maison in the North where you could split your weeks. Cap Maison is very high end with a great restaurant and nice little beach. The villas with the rooftop pools are lovely.

Ti Kaye is more rustic but has a great natural beach and a really beautiful Spa. You are a bit more isolated there but it is a very nice place.

Ladera is not on the beach and I think you would need to take the shuttle.

Finally, if your budget will split to Anse Chastanet followed by Jade Mountain in a Moon or Star room, you would have an unforgettable honeymoon. I often visits St Lucia in June and usually we are lucky with the weather.

Have fun deciding!

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,954 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: ANOTHER St. Lucia Honeymoon Post

Bon jou tou moun,

FYI Stonefield does have a spa on-site - The Bamboo Door Spa - www.stonefieldresort.com/spa.

Bless up! Paul