We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay/what to do with limited St Lucia time!

Atlanta, Georgia
6 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay/what to do with limited St Lucia time!

Hello!

My 9 yr old daughter and I are arriving into the southern Hewanorra airport in St. Lucia Sunday afternoon in early February and will leave for St. Vincent from the northern George Charles Airport at either 4:15 pm or 10:20 pm the next day (guessing it will need to be the latter if we take a tour). Reading through the forum, I'm thinking a day tour with either Cosol or Real St. Lucia on Monday might be the best way with such limited time?? And what area would you suggest staying in for the one afternoon/evening on Sunday maybe with nice walking/views as we will be staying put until the next morning? Specific places to stay that aren't too pricey? I have no idea how all the transport will work on this, am a little fearful it could be expensive. I don't know if where we stay greatly influences the cost of the tour (and then getting dropped at G.C. airport at the end). THANKS SO MUCH for any and all guidance!!

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,030 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay/what to do with limited St Lucia time!

Yes, transportation will be expensive - and somewhat will depend on which airport you are departing from for St. Vincent. That will make a big difference on tour suggestions and also places to stay.

You will be flying into UVF, the international airport in the south of the island. The tours you listed leave out of the north of the island. Also, flights to SVG usually leave from the north of the island (SLU airport) - so that would need to be confirmed before we could make great suggestions.

If you are leaving from the north, then Auberge Seraphine is lovely, on the port area, nice pool, good food and pretty inexpensive. You could take your tour from there and it is right near the SLU airport. Other inexpenisve options in the north are located in Rodney Bay - about 30 minutes north of the SLU airport: Coco Palm kreole rooms, Harmony Suites, Bay Gardens Inn or Hotel, and so on.

Taxi/transfer form UVF to Castries (AS) are $75US one way. To Rodney Bay, $80US. From RB to SLU - $30US one way.

You could consider a stay in Soufriere overnight - about 40 minutes from UVF and a $75 taxi ride, then transfer up to the airport in the afternoon the next day at $90US- but you would be staying in the shadow of the Pitons. Inexpensive in the area, Hummingbird Beach Resort, La Haut, Crystals, and so on.

If you are leaving out of UVF for SVG (for some reason) consider Soufriere area again, or perhaps Coconut Bay for the night - a fun AI with waterpark and activities - and 5 minutes from the airport. Transfers included.

Good luck.

Atlanta, Georgia
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay/what to do with limited St Lucia time!

Thanks so much reedprincess.

We will indeed be flying into UVF in the south and out of SLU in the north. Yikes on the expensive transport prices! ): Are your quotes per person or would they cover both me AND my daughter??

And re staying in Soufriere you said "but you would be staying in the shadow of the Pitons." I'm not sure about the 'but'....sounds like that would a good thing?? From photos, it looks like Soufriere is a prettier setting/town than Castries/Auberge Serafine? It may also depend if it's more costly for a tour company to pick us up in Soufriere and then drop us off at the northern airport after the tour??

Thanks so much!!

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,030 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay/what to do with limited St Lucia time!

Those taxi/transfer prices are per vehicle, for up to 3 people - so covers both.

I was saying "but in the shadow of the Pitons" as in - it's a longish ride over to Soufriere, then another longish transfer, but you are staying in the shadow of the Pitons - which are St. Lucia's iconic landmarks - and hence, you don't really nead a tour, as you are already there!

the Pitons are spectacular, Hummingbird is right on the beach and beautiful views of Petit Piton and great food (and comfy hotel!) that route would negate the need for an extra tour - you could hire a taxi in the morning to take you to the Diamond Falls and gardens, over to the volcano and then back to the hotel for lunch and some swimming and then an easy transfer back up to SLU.

Personally - that is the route I would take, as opposed to transfering up to Castries upon arrival, then the next day taking a tour back down south to Soufriere and back up to the north. Staying in Soufriere, you get the beautiful scenery, close to the sights and only one trip up the coast.

good luck and enjoy your visit.

Atlanta, Georgia
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay/what to do with limited St Lucia time!

Wow! LOVE your idea!!! Sounds like a much better plan than a tour. The Hummingbird is booked other than two $300 plus rooms. Do you know if the Mago Estate Hotel decent.....also looks like it's on the beach as well? Looks to be only one cheap-ISH room available. Or....any other accomodations suggestions.

Thank you again for your thoughtful response/advice!!

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,435 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay/what to do with limited St Lucia time!

I would skip a stay at Mago. Take a look at La Haut. Not on the beach but the views are spectacular and the beach is very nearby. You can start your tour from there.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,030 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay/what to do with limited St Lucia time!

I absolutely second nevera - skip Mago, and no, it's not on the beach. We love La Haut, it's on the hillside, so no walking to the beach, but spectacular views, 2 great pools, delicious food and very comfy rooms. You can take their shuttle down to town to walk around/beach time or hire a taxi to hit the sites real easy in the morning and come back up for lunch and swim.

Crystals is nice, again on the hillside; The Still Beahchouse may be worth looking at (right on the beach too) and definitely try giving Hummingbird a call, sometimes, not all rooms are realeased to the net booking sites.

Good luck and have fun!

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay/what to do with limited St Lucia time!

Bon jou Karkster,

For your one night in Soufriere consider The Downtown Hotel (1 block from the harbor), Leisure Inn (across the street from turn-off to Diamond Botanical Gardens) or Camilla's Guesthouse (5 min walk to beach). Much more economical and centrally located than the choices above.

Next morning after more Soufriere visiting, eat a local lunch in town at Fedo's, La Chaudiere or head to Castries to visit & eat before your flight.

Bless up! Paul

PS: On your way into Soufriere from UVF ask your land taxi owner/operator to stop for a few minutes at Ladera for the view of The Pitons from the restaurant-bar.

Edited: 07 January 2013, 17:33
Atlanta, Georgia
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay/what to do with limited St Lucia time!

Another thought....do you know if there are any local tour companies meaning they just concentrate on the Soufriere area? The taxi sounded great/hopefully less expensive than a tour but I know my daughter would like to snorkel and we won't have the equipment, assume tour companies would provide? That's the only advantage I see over a taxi, unless we could rent equipment for the day? I'm thinking it would be nice to visit Diamond Falls, volcano and also go snorkeling maybe at Jalousie?? I think we'll have to take the 10:20 pm flight from George Charles up north so we really will have a WHOLE day.....and we're pretty active gals! Lastly, I also see Villa de Pitons has pretty inexpensive accomodations. Photos make it look, hmmm, not ideal but any feedback? The Still Beach House doesn't have the greatest reviews but.....need to evaluate that vs. high cost of others!! THANKS AGAIN!!!!

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay/what to do with limited St Lucia time!

Irie, Karkster!

Plenty of Soufriere locals own & operate land (& water) taxis...

Try Fimba - Soufriere born&bred, relaxed, friendly vibe, comfortable ride, day&night service including airport transfers - call him direct at 758 719 1209.

Snorkel equipment is available for rent at Action Adventure Divers (owned & operated by Chester) on Soufriere Beach next to the Hummingbird Hotel.

Still Beach House has simple, clean & comfortable accomodations. Located on Soufriere Beach (recently overhauled & cleaned up) in a relatively quiet spot of Soufriere.

Villa des Pitons, as well as Crystal's/Mago Estate/La Haut, all located on the West Coast Road out of Soufriere - & up a long hill - definitely require a rental vehicle or round-trip taxi transport.

Bless! Paul

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,030 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay/what to do with limited St Lucia time!

There are no tour companies specifically out of Soufriere that concentrate on Soufriere - most tours operate from the north and come down to Soufriere. You can easily rent snorkel equipment from Chester, next to Hummingbird (as noted by Congomon) and also at Jalousie (now named Sugar Beach Resort) and also at Anse Chastenet.

You can contact Ben's West Coast Jeeps to arrange a transfer and a driver for the day - if they do multiple trips with the same person, they can negotiate price downwards due to guarantee of business and that they are acting as a tour operator as opposed to a taxi. Also, christopher taxi is out of soufriere too. Both with great drivers and clean cars.

The Still is great, right next to Hummingbird so right on the beach. Everywhere gets up and down reviews, so take with a grain of salt.

Best of luck with your research!