We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why o why o why??

UK
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Topic
Why o why o why??

Why do large groups decide to go to Sandals, a resort which markets itself as a romantic getaway for couples, and then find themselves disappointed that the resort won't cater to them as a group?

I for one, would be horrified to find a large rowdy group invading the pool area or restaurant when I was trying to have a quiet, romantic getaway with my significant other!

Do your research.... go to a party hotel that caters for groups and leave Sandals to those who want a peaceful, relaxing, romantic break (or at least stop complaining when Sandals won't let you ruin everyone else's vacation!)

leeds
Level Contributor
364 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why o why o why??

Sounds like you have had some issues!

Essex
Level Contributor
287 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why o why o why??

Sounds to me like you've just read the last review left on The Halcyon..

It is as you quiet rightly said a couples resort, and not marketed as suitable for large groups...somebody obviously didn't do their research very well!

UK
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Why o why o why??

I personally haven't had any issues, but having read the latest review on the Halcyon, I'm just thinking how awful it would have been if I had been there at the same time!

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why o why o why??

Its not just sandals. A recent review of Athuruga, a tiny and expensive Maldivian island with 70 rooms or so had a large corporate crowd of drunkards which all but ruined the stays of the rest of the guests. At least at Sandals you can leave the property or go to another bar/restaurant but when there is nowhere else to go...........

Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
Level Contributor
3,328 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Why o why o why??

I'd have to respectfully disagree that the customer/guest is at any fault by having expectations that the Sandals resorts would or should be able to accommodate their group.

Sandals markets and sells to.....

Meetings & Incentive Groups, ~Social Groups~, Wedding Groups

Nor... should a couple that has done their research be surprised when or if they come across these large group functions and or the distraction a large group may cause, restaurant closers for the larger private gatherings, etc.

Seems All a part of Sandals marketing... according to their web site, they have been offering Group Destination travel for ~over 20 years now~.

I'd also add the other groups, one may run across....along with those private functions and activities for the returning guests only, travel agent, tour operator group travel weeks and functions, etc.

http://www.sandals.com/groups/

"For over 20 years, Sandals Resorts has been welcoming groups of every size. We are the perfect fit for meetings, incentive programs, executive retreats and destination weddings, and we offer discounts on group travel to our Jamaica, St. Lucia, Antigua and Bahamas resorts. "

Edited: 01 February 2013, 13:12
Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why o why o why??

groups of every size?... no thanks m8

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,425 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why o why o why??

Yes, I have been to Sandals and other resorts when they have had large meeting groups staying. Did not interfere with my stay but if it had I would have been pi--ed. I find that couples and adults only resorts do this as it ups their bottom line. Sometimes these groups are in meetings all day, and it doesn't have any impact, but if they are lounging around or taking over part of the resort it's another story.

North Dakota
Level Contributor
546 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why o why o why??

We have been to multiple Sandals resorts, but a few years ago we were at a resort and there was a company vacation/ rewards vacation or whatever and the resort did have a different vibe than the couples vibe. We were not the only ones that noticed this at the resort. I hope Sandals keeps the "couples resort theme or attitude"!

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
947 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why o why o why??

We were at Sandals Ocho Rios this past fall due to a conference that was held there. I was surprised that the conference was being held there first of all but being returning guests we attended to rack up our stays in hopes of getting that free week!

Yes, the vibe of being a couple resort was NOT there and we were a bit on the disappointment side. We also observed another big group there as they had one bar closed for the "party" that evening.

I agree that Sandals needs to go back to their roots and stay a couples only resort!

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why o why o why??

Hence why I've been to Couples 5 times and Sandals zero times.