We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

Concord, New...
7 posts
Save Topic
Car Rental

Is it a good idea to rent a car for the week if we are staying at The Landings resort? How far is The Landings from Anse Chastenet where we would like to do some snorkeling? My understanding is that there aren't any great snorkeling choices nearby the Landings.

Thanks!

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,446 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental

The only snorkeling around the Landings is at Pigeon Island, a small reef and some around Cap Maison beach area, again, a small reef.

It's pretty easy to rent a car and drive yourself around, if youa re a confident driver, etc. We do drive on the left (British system) with steering wheels on the right, no big deal really, takes a few minutes to get used to - just remember to keep the driver towards the center of the road and passenger towards the curb! The road down to soufriere is narrow and winding (mountainous) but perfectly safe to drive, just take your time, don't let anyone rush you, etc. The road out to AC is narrow, unpaved and quite rough, but again, driveable, no problem - again, just go slow and take your time.

A jeep or higher clearance vehicle is advisable for that road itself, otherwise a car is usually fine around the main roads and sights of the island.

Good luck and enjoy your visit.

Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental

Thanks for your post reedprincess. We are familiar with driving on the other side of the road as we have rented Jeeps on St John.

Would you say that AC is worth the day trip from the Landings? I am concerned about the long drive?

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,446 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental

Any trip to Soufrier is definitely worth the drive. Make a full day of it and visit the volcano, go by the botanical gardens and waterfall, etc, Soufriere is the heart of St. Lucia, any time spent ther is worth the drive!!

www.soufrierefoundation.org.

Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental

Thanks! Do you know the aproximate time it might take to get there from the Landings?

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,005 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental

Bon jou Julie G,

Your first time driving down - 2 hrs.

Plan on frequent stops, along the way, for photos, tasty treats (tropical fruits, fresh bread, Spice shots) and friendly people.

Bless up! Paul

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental

Whenever we are in St Lucia (we stay in the north not far from the Landings) we always hire a car for day trips down to the south of the island. One of those trips is always to Anse Chastenet, in my opinion the best snorkelling place in St Lucia. Their beach front restaurant "Le Trou au Diable" (Devil's Hole in English) is perfect for lunch and drinks.

Alternatively, have an early lunch at Hotel Chocolat, just the other side of Soufriere, and then head down to Anse Chastenet for some snorkelling. Two hours is a safe estimate for the journey from the Landings. Bear in mind that sunset in the tropics is early, about 18:15; so if you want to avoid driving back up to Castries in the dark, you need to leave Anse Chastenet by 16:30 or so.

Hire the vehicle (I always hire a Daihatsu Terios for the high ground clearance) for at least two days, and drive down to Marigot Bay on another day. It takes about one hour. It is a magical setting. There are several places for lunch, and you can take a small ferry across the mouth of the bay to the other side where there is a small beach.

Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental

Thanks so much everyone for sharing! It is so helpful to know these things prior to visiting as we have never been to St Lucia and want to make the most of our time there!

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
61 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental

One of the most fun (and 'local' type) events are the Friday-night 'jump-ups'; I've been to the one in Gros Islet twice, but I understand there is one with a fish-fry at Anse La Raye, I believe. At Gros Islet, there are food and drink vendors, lots of music, and dancing in the street.

We are returning (third time for me, second time for my wife) next month; we've always rented cars, but are thinking about not, this time, since we have seen a good bit of the island and are probably just going to unwind this trip. But driving is a breeze... MUCH improved from my first visit (in 1985) when the road from Castries to Soufriere was ever MORE windy than it is now and took at least twice as long (max. 20MPH most of the way; now it's straightened-out a bit... I was shocked and had prepared my wife for the hairy ride, but it was a piece o' cake).

Level Contributor
12 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental

We were in Soufriere a few weeks ago. it was our first time in St. Lucia and being from the US, we were concerned about driving on the "wrong" side of the road,etc. If oyu look at some of thew older posts on this forum, you'll see different discussions around driving in St. Lucia.

If you have ever driven the Road to Hana in Maui, Hawaii, the roads in ST. Lucia are similar - maybe a little worse because of the potholes St. Lucia's roads have. The scenery is great - but the driver will be focused intently on the act of driving.

We did fine driving during the day but I would try to avoid driving any distance at night.

The road from Sourfirere to Anse Chastanet is a really rutty dirt road- but relatively short. The turnoff for that road is near the Hummingbird resort north of Soufriere.A suggestion - at the end of the road; park in thesecured lot right before the gate. Walk to Anse Chastanet - take a little dirt road/path in the back of the beach to the right. It's a 10 minute walk to Anse Mamin. Anse Mamin is a secluded, uncrowded beach and right off the beach though a gate take the short path to an old Sugar Plantation that the jungle is slowly reclaiming.

10. Re: Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2014, 06:15