We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in St. Lucia vs Antigua

Wausau, Wisconsin...
4 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon in St. Lucia vs Antigua

My fiance and I are starting to plan our honeymoon for mid October. We are trying to decide between St. Lucia or Antigua. We are both in our mid twenties and like to be adventurous. Does anyone have any resort recommendations or insight between St. Lucia or Antigua? The things we are looking for are: All inclusive, a nice beach (the closer our room is to the beach the better!), a plunge pool would be nice, but not a necessity. Activities such as zip lining, hiking (maybe to a waterfall??), boat ride, a little shopping. We are not ones for partying until 2am, but a some nightlife would be fun. We would be flying from the midwest and have a budget right now of $6,000.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,435 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in St. Lucia vs Antigua

In Antigua take a look at Cocobay or Coco's or Sandals. In St. Lucia look at Sugar Beach Resort, Windjammer Landing, Sandals La Toc. All of these properties offer rooms with pools, they are beachfront properties and are all inclusive or offer an all inclusive option. Based on your wants St. Lucia is a better fit. Antigua is a relatively dry and arid island and St. Lucia is lush rainforest. I've been to both islands and St. Lucia wins hands down.

Wausau, Wisconsin...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in St. Lucia vs Antigua

Thank you for the advice. St. Lucia sounds like the winner or us. We will definitely be looking into Sugar Beach Resort, the villas look amazing!

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in St. Lucia vs Antigua

Been to st lucia 3 times and Antigua 5 times

Both are lovely in their own way but st lucia , being a volcanic island is much greener / more lush with prettier scenery especially in the south around the pitons

Have stayed 2 weeks. AI in an ocean view pool villa at sugar beach for our honeymoon and for a honeymoon you can't go far wrong with it

Handy for exploring the south of the island and being between the pitons you feel like a film star . Antigua has the wonderful nelsons dockyard and Shirley heights and probably better beaches than st lucia and an interesting Atlantic east coast with sights such as devils bridge

But st lucia would be my choice

UK
Level Contributor
442 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in St. Lucia vs Antigua

Can't really offer much help but glad I read this we.re off to st Lucia in may and got married in Antigua and been to many other islands. We loved Antigua beaches are beautiful but have been to better islands since and we are looking forward to st Lucia even more so. We did love Antigua but in a different way to some of the other islands we.ve been to our favourite is grenada

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in St. Lucia vs Antigua

Agree that Grenada would be neck and neck with st lucia as our favourite island with arguably the prettiest capital town in the Caribbean . It's only really the pitons that place st lucia right up there but that's a big big bonus feature

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in St. Lucia vs Antigua

I would include Anse Chastanet in your list of resorts - no pools, but it's in a great location for everything else on your list. The upper hillside rooms which are literally built in and around the rainforest have great views across to the Pitons. http://www.ansechastanet.com/

Soufriere is incredibly gorgeous and very romantic - a premiere honeymoon destination.

Grenada is also fantastic, however I would agree with the above statement regarding the Pitons giving St Lucia the edge and would add the dormant volcano and geothermal features like mud & mineral baths to that statement.

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in St. Lucia vs Antigua

Like Nevera & Paul, I've been to both islands and without a doubt would advise you to head for St. Lucia. Given what you're looking to do I'd also recommend Sugar Beach which sits between Gros & Petit Piton. It's one of the most iconic resort locations in the Caribbean, the snorkeling in the marine preserve is like swimming in an aquarium, you're closer to the ziplining rainforest excursion.

An AI in Antigua would probably cost less, so if for whatever reason you decide to go there, then my #1 recommendation for a AbFab day trip would be take the high speed catamaran trip to Barbuda, its sister island.

Happy Planning & Happy Honeymooning!

Edited: 14 March 2013, 18:16
Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,435 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon in St. Lucia vs Antigua

I agree that the second choice I would have is Grenada. It is gorgeous, easy to get around (although their bus drivers and roads are absolutely insane) and I felt safer there than on any island I've visited. It's even more quiet than St. Lucia IMO. A good honeymoon choice there would be La Luna, Spice Island or Petit Anse. I still would choose St. Lucia as my destination of choice. it's difficult to get to Grenada from the US.

Wausau, Wisconsin...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon in St. Lucia vs Antigua

Thank you all for your help. We are looking between Sugar Beach and Windjammer Landing. We have never booked a trip like this before and are wondering if we should try to do it ourselves, either thru the resort website or a travel/trip website or seek out a Travel Agent for help? Would a travel agent be able to get us a better deal then we would be able to?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon in St. Lucia vs Antigua

I stayed at Rendezvous in St Lucia for my honeymoon and we had a fabulous time!