We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferries to and from Martinqiue

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Ferries to and from Martinqiue

Is there a site that lists the times of ferries between St Lucia and Martinique. We want to go over for a few days in mid-August and need to know the times rot a see if we can make it back to St.Lucia in time to catch a 2.45 pm plane from the International ASirport in St Lucia. But if the ferries are not available early we'd still like to find a timetable? Also can these ferries be pre-booked before getting to St Luia ..if so..how?

Gareth

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,954 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferries to and from Martinqiue

Bon jou Gareth G,

Wave Riders offer day tours Rodney Bay<->Martinique DEPART 8:30 AM/RETURN 4 PM http://www.stluciawaveriders.com

Express des Isles offer ferry service Castries<->Martinique DEPART 1 PM - ARRIVE 2:30 PM and RETURN any day after DEPART 10:30 AM - ARRIVE 12 (noon)

http://www.express-des-iles.com

Bless up! Paul

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,899 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferries to and from Martinqiue

Great info from Congomon as always. Just one note - WaveRiders is a tour/excurions, not a trip where you can get off and stay in Martinique for a few days and then come back with them later. Unless you contact them and make special arrangements with them directly, it is a tour, not a ferry.

The only regular ferry service between Martinique and St. Lucia is Express Des Isles. They operate a varying schedule depending on time of year. They are not daily service, usually around 4 or 5 days. Leaving Martinique and arriving St. Lucia in time to make the 1.15-1.5 hour drive to UVF in the same day would be very, very tight. Possible, but tight.

Good luck and enjoy your visit!

UK
Level Contributor
441 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferries to and from Martinqiue

Thanks for that we.re going to go for the day after reading about the tour. Just one thing will our 10 and 5year old be ok on the tour they are very good behaved children just wondered about the crossing

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,899 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferries to and from Martinqiue

It's a largish boat, they should be fine. It would be best to talk directly with the provider about any possible age restrictions, safety concerns, etc.

All the best...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferries to and from Martinqiue

Bon jou Congomon,

thanks for that. I look forward to seeing the Caribbean again after more than 40 years!!!

Is the Black Seal still as good?....most of my old Caribbean writer friends from London in the sixties are at the big Carnival in the skynow...Sam Selvon, Andrew Salkey et al....though Wilson Harris is still going strong in his eighties...I think.....Never been to St Lucia (Derek Walcott's home island). I'm doing a Conference there that Walcott will attend..but also wanted to see the home island of Aime Cesaire so decided to try and pop over to Martinique...info really helpful

Diolch yn fawr i chwi

Gareth

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferries to and from Martinqiue

Thanks to all for the info on the St Lucia Martinique ferries

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferries to and from Martinqiue

Dear Congomon,

any idea how long a taxi from the ferry to the International airport would take?

Cheers

garerth

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferries to and from Martinqiue

Hi all, sorry didn't see that the ride is 1 to 1.5 hours from Castries to the airport. So that answers the question asked of Congomon in my earlier post. Thanks you guys..you are great

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,954 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferries to and from Martinqiue

Irie, Gareth G!

Much has changed in 40 yrs... and not for the better, although hope remains!

Will you be presenting a paper at The 16th Triennial ACLALS Conference "The current unbroken/the circuits kept open: Connecting Cultures and the Commonwealth" from 5-9 August 2013?

We hope to meet with Mr. Walcott, as well.

Black Seal is from Bermuda! St. Lucia Distiller's Chairman's Rum is doing well, considering Caribbean rum exports to the US are being unfairly taxed to protect US-subsidized Virgin Island & Puerto Rico rums.

Diolch yn fawr i chwi... Gareth G, you are most welcome! Paul

Edited: 08 April 2013, 17:42
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferries to and from Martinqiue

Yes I will. I hope to meet Derek Walcott there too. I last saw him at a Conference i helped organise at UMKC in Kansas City in 1973, though I am sure he will not remember me. Other people at that conference included the great Nigerian writer Chinua Achebe, who sadly dies a few week back.

By the way Martinique for a few days was a plan but i saw that on the day i have to travel back the ferry leaves at 8.30 am. I had planned to spend 3 nights at Trois Isles but i am afraid that travel back to the ferry from there would take a good while Does anyone know how long it takes to Fort de France from Trois isles? I gather that aport from the road there is also a ferry but i doubt it runs that early. Any info on that most welcome.

Pob hwyl

Gareth

Get answers to your questions about St. Lucia