We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Treehouse II, what a view!

1 post
Save Topic
Treehouse II, what a view!

Finishing our week @ the beautifully designed Treehouse II. The view is fantastic. The house manager, Charmaine, made us feel so at home and made our life here simple by cooking for us on arrival and running errands for us all week so that we didn't have to go back and forth to town. The beach @ Anse Chastanet is a ten minute walk downhill and a little bit more of a journey uphill after spending time snorkeling in some of St Lucia's prettiest spots. The beach, as all beaches in St Lucia, is public so all you need is a towel to get your spot on the beach. A little planning before going to the beach (snacks, drinks, etc.) is worth the effort since prices at the Anse Chastanet resort are ridiculously high. Snorkeling both ends of the beach gives you two completely different underwater perspectives that are equally beautiful.

A great day trip is just across the water to the beach between the pitons. A water taxi to "Sugar Beach (Anse Piton) is $60 U.S.. Go early to secure chairs with a "palapa" for coverage from the elements. Spend the day watching tourists come and go and walk the beach for beautiful piton views and pictures. Snorkeling is good but not as good as @ Anse Chastanet. Bring cash if you want to buy fruit from the "fruit man " or to shop at the beach souvenir store .

If you like to hike, it is about a 2 hour round trip hike to Travaile falls for a brisk and refreshing cold water massage under the surging water. We found a lady selling delicious coconut cookies on the way to the falls that made our morning coffee an exceptional starter the next day.

There are pet cats at the Treehouses I and II so, a couple of cans of sardines will make you a hero with Snowy, Sammie, Cocoa, and Bud.

The owner Sam H. gave us great advice prior to our arrival. Bugs are prevalent but Sam supplies plenty of deterrents so, all you have to do is use them.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
121 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Treehouse II, what a view!

Thank you for your review of Treehouse II. we are thinking of renting this place in February. After having some time to reflect any further items you'd have to say about it? (I emailed Sam to ask if there's no air conditioning as I don't think the writeup referred to A/C??) How was the snorkelling at Anse Chastanet beach? Thanks for any info you can provide about the villa or the area. Kind regards, Brenda

Edited: 13 July 2013, 15:13
Peaks Island, Maine
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Treehouse II, what a view!

Both of the Treehouse properties have AC, but the AC is in the bedroom of each place. The basic idea is that you run the AC at night if you need it to cool off. There are also good fans you can use to cool off. Running the fans help to keep the bugs away. Keep in mind that these properties are very open, which means you get really nice breezes at times, but you are open to the elements, such as bugs, etc. No big deal but just something to be aware of. The Treehouse I has a little more open feel to it than Treehouse II. The Treehouse II is maybe a little more private and has a little more cooking area. Both properties have little plunge pools that you can jump in and cool off. Both properties are on the road to the resort so depending on the time of year you are there, you'll hear a little bit of traffic as workers are going to and from the resort. Again, no big deal but something to be aware of. You'll love the house staff. If you stay there, hook up with Terry (Scare) who wotks in the area and get some of his handmade coffee or ask him to show you around a little. You'll really get a insider's experience of St Lucia.

Snorkeling at AC is decent. The reef is fairly small at the area where you are allowed to snorkel in but the water is very clear on calm days. Downside is lots of people (and boats) go there to snorkel at times. Probably because the beach is pretty and it's easy access. That means you get to see a lot of "leg fish." The other downside with snorkeling at AC is that sometimes the Marine Management people hit you up for money to snorkel there. This is ridiculous. Snorkeling should be free in my world; just like biking or breathing. I've snorkeled all over the world and have never been hit up for money to snorkel anywhere but at AC. The local fisherman in St Lucia tell me that the money that is collected really doesn't go back into the reef. I can believe that. (Okay, I'm off my soapbox now!)

You can find better places to snorkel at if you ask around.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
121 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Treehouse II, what a view!

Thank you for your further info. Much appreciated!!

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
565 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Treehouse II, what a view!

Just to throw in my opinion about Anse Chastanet snorkeling, many people agree it is the best on the island and nearly everyone would put it in the top two along with Jalousie/sugar beach. I would put Anse Cochon and Laborie close to them, too. I would not consider it a small area, but most people limit themselves to a smaller are than they can actually explore. There are little coves and different rock features along the cliffs and deeper coral that you can dive down to if you can hold your breath. You actually can go a decent ways out and although there are people, it is a big enough area that everyone is spread out pretty well. You can obviously see the boats, but they are far enough away to not bother you or worry you. There is also some unique snorkeling around a rock structure jutting out of the water on the north side of Anse Mamin just next to AC. Less fish, but nice coral in a different setting. I never had anyone ask for money and was actually greeted extremely kindly at the gate after telling them we were just snorkeling.

Soufriere Beach is probably about the same walking distance from the Treehouse and I loved that snorkeling. It is under-appreciated and under-visited, in my book. It admittedly and clearly has less fish, and maybe only decent coral, but it has a massive drop-off underwater and was really exhilarating. You can swim a long ways out there along the cliffs, which I loved, but my wife did not like swimming that far out.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Treehouse II, what a view!

Bon jou tout moun,

Most visitors highly rate the snorkeling at Anse Chastenet & Viceroy Sugar Beach because... they only know where the tour operators go!

The Caribbean West Coast of St. Lucia offers plenty of rarely visited coves, bays and off-shore rocks with excellent snorkeling... and on the Atlantic East Coast the fishing town of Dennery, the Maria Islands, the Mankote Mangrove (Vieux Fort) are, also, rich in sea-life.

Bless up! Paul

NB: Be very mindful of small boat traffic while swimming/snorkeling anywhere in St. Lucia and, particularly, in Soufriere Bay by the Fisheries Complex, Soufriere Public Beach, Bat Cave and higher up by the Grande Caille headland close to Anse Chastenet.

Remember... they don't see you.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Treehouse II, what a view!

@ keithjwaz... the Soufriere Marine Management Association Inc. is the only self-sustained not-for-profit NGO authorized by the Government of St. Lucia (GOSL) to manage the Marine Reserves, Fishing Priority Areas, Multiple Use Areas, Yacht Mooring Areas & Recreational Areas of the SMMA (Soufriere) and CAMMA (Canaries) that are appreciated by locals & visitors to St. Lucia.

How can you, as a visitor who has enjoyed our "free" resources, diss their work - in a public forum - by criticizing a snorkel fee of USD 1.11 (or XCD 3/per day) to conserve St. Lucia's threatened marine environment and promote the sustainable use of our marine resources by the tourism industry?!

Peaks Island, Maine
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Treehouse II, what a view!

The reason I made the comment about the snorkel fee is that I did not have a very good experience in dealing with the Marine Management group at all. I was not at all impressed, and impressions are really important especially when you live on an island. If you want more details I'd be more than happy to share them with you privately. I think having an organization that has a charter to take care of the reef is so vitally important but it does need to be done in a professional manner.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Treehouse II, what a view!

We have nothing but glowing things to say about this marvelous place. We had a very easy time dealing with the accommodating owner, and the house itself fulfilled our wildest expectations. Everything was beautifully appointed, complete with flower petals on the bed for our arrival. Charmaine prepared a delicious meal for us all and was helpful throughout the week. The terrace has one of the most breathtaking views we have ever experienced, and we never tired of the changing light on the fabulous Pitons and iridescent sea below. The house is up a dirt road from Soufriere, so having a care would be convenient, but you can manage fine with taxis as well. There is a phone in the house to call for a ride, and there are always taxis available in town. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and would go back in a heartbeat!

Orchard Park, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Treehouse II, what a view!

Just returned from a week at Treehouse 2. Have to say that all the great things everyone has posted are true. The view of the Pitons from the porch is fabulous. We sat on the deck several hours each day just enjoying the view of the Pitons, the Caribbean Sea, the boats, beautiful sunsets along with rum punch or Piton lager. In the words of the guys down at Anse Chastenet Beach - "Maximum Chill".

The place is very well kept and as other have said - Charmaine is very attentive - as are the pool guy and landscaper. It's like a mini botanical garden. WiFi was great, the TV was perfect. The bed was comfortable. I really enjoyed feeding the birds and the cats are all very cute and friendly. We used the plunge pool almost every day. Very refreshing. It's very private with a nice view of the Pitons. Perfect size for us. As advertised, the Treehouse 2 is very open, but there's lots of spray and repellant. We did use the mosquito nets and fans at night. The temperature was around 79-80 each night, but we did not use the air conditioning at all - preferring to view the night sky - which is spectacular.

A really great experience was the whole rainforest feel. As our guide at the volcano stated, there is a rainforest reserve for preservation, hiking and such, but the whole area around Soufriere is really a rainforest climate/zone. We were there during the rainy season, so it rained almost every day - sometimes multiple times per day lasting 10-15 minutes - usually in short bursts ranging from a fine mist to a downpour. The fact that it was otherwise sunny meant plenty of rainbows - probably more than I've seen in the last 10 years combined. Walking in the rain was a delight due to the warmth of the air. On the one day when it rained extensively, we spent several hours in the plunge pool - which was really a nice experience.

We did quite a few excursions, but always left time to relax and enjoy the deck and plunge pool. We spent a day at Anse Mamin - renting a hut. Great burgers at their beach restaurant, btw. Anse Chastenet is a beautiful beach as well. They are adjacent to each other. We also took the water taxi to Jalousie/Sugar Beech. The free chairs there are sort of packed together, and were quite full - so we rented a hut on the main beach - very nice and relaxing. Great view between the Pitons. All in all, we preferred the Anse beaches over Jalousie/Sugar beach.

One morning,took a hike to the top of the hill - which was strenuous but ends with a great view of the Pitons and Soufriere. We also went on a few excursions by cab - Marigot Bay, the volcano, botanical garden, waterfall, rum distillery, Tet Paul. The cab service that Treehouse 2 uses is very reliable. We had a fabulous driver named Kervin who showed us all kinds of places and added a very nice local flavor to our drives with his commentary and through sharing experiences. It was very nice to hear about activities throughout the island, about the schools, the fishing villages, and local watering holes and restaurants. Great guy!

In summary, I've often found that the descriptions/photos of places on various websites etc set one up with expectations that are tough to meet. Not at all the case with Treehouse 2. The positive reviews here and the info on their website are spot on. Great place and highly recommended.

Leesburg, Virginia...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Treehouse II, what a view!

The Treehouse II looks very open which is nice, but how private is it? What about safety? Can someone just walk into the house? Thank you for any information!