We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Lucia or Barbados in October - which has less rain???

Wakefield, United...
1 post
Save Topic
St Lucia or Barbados in October - which has less rain???

Hi all - I have just joined the forum as I desperately need help trying to decide on where to go for my honeymoon, St Lucia or Barbados in October.

I know it's the rainy season that time of year but was hoping someone might be able to tell me which island I will see less rain and more sun at that time.

I don't mind short down pours but as I'm only there for 9 nights I don't want days of solid rain.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

UK
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Lucia or Barbados in October - which has less rain???

The two islands are completely different - weather is not really a good way to decide between them. St. Lucia is a volcanic island with mountainous landscape with lush vegetation, deep blue seas and golden yellow beaches. Barbados is a coral island, flat and arid, with white beaches and shallow turquoise water. So rather than asking which has most rain, which type of holiday would you prefer?

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,831 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Lucia or Barbados in October - which has less rain???

I have to completely second chesebrgr on this one. How much rain either island gets is a strange way to make the decision, especially considering one is a rainforest island and the other is an arid island.

Comparing the two is apples to oranges. They are very different topographically, in culture, in experiences, in beaches, in adventure, in cost, in ease of getting to, in people, in scenery, etc. You need to choose based more on what type of honeymoon you are looking for before deciding on which island.

Chesebrgr gave a great summary of the two, no need for me to repeat it! Congrats in advance.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Lucia or Barbados in October - which has less rain???

It also has to be stated that in St Lucia rainfall totals vary enormously depending on which part of the island you're in. The mountainous interior has far more rain than, for example, Rodney Bay. In Barbados, which has no mountains, there is much less variation in rainfall amounts.

Having said all that, weather patterns seem to be changing all over the world. I have just come back from Barbados which has had an unusually wet May. Even the dry days were dull and cloudy, and the whole island was much greener than I had ever seen it before.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: St Lucia or Barbados in October - which has less rain???

Bon jou Lou8008,

St. Lucia has more of everything than Barbados... including rain.

Bless up! Paul

London, Canada
Level Contributor
189 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Lucia or Barbados in October - which has less rain???

Sorry Paul, I'm in Barbados right now and the beaches and rum blow away St Lucia's .No contest. Berbican I agree Barbados is greener than I've ever seen !!! St Lucia however is amazing in many many ways .Peace.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: St Lucia or Barbados in October - which has less rain???

Irie, MrPappyshow... we enjoying the rain & all shades of green with you! Paul

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Lucia or Barbados in October - which has less rain???

Each to their own St Lucia has my vote

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,459 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Lucia or Barbados in October - which has less rain???

I love both places. Choose whichever is more interesting to you. As far as rain, St. Lucia probably will have more as it is a rainforest island.

UK
Level Contributor
461 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Lucia or Barbados in October - which has less rain???

Hi we have been to both and these are my opinions Barbados has lovely beaches love their music good rum whereas St Lucia is much prettier and lots more to see but the beaches are not as nice as Barbados. Look at Grenada too we loved it there

Manchester
Level Contributor
68 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St Lucia or Barbados in October - which has less rain???

Barbados has less rain & a more aqua sea. Ideal for a relaxing beach holiday. If you are an active type looking for lots of activities, St Lucia has more to do particularly at the all-inclusive resorts. Having said that, you can enjoy a relaxing beach holiday on both islands. The nicest thing is that it is still warm, even in the rain.