We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

25th anniversary trip - and sandals halycon - and not happy

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
25th anniversary trip - and sandals halycon - and not happy

All we wanted to do was spend our 25th wedding anniversary today scuba diving. Since we hadn't dove in 2 years we agreed to pay for a resort refresher course. Fair enough.

Alas we told the truth on the dive questionnaire. I have had back surgery almost 20 years ago And am on some medications - I'm 53 so,I'd guess that's normal. . As a result of these conditions I'm not allowed to dive without Drs consent. And getting a Drs consent isn't going to be easy from here nor will my wife and I get to do the only thing we wanted for our anniversary today. Really frustrating.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 25th anniversary trip - and sandals halycon - and not happy

Bon jou happycampersfromva,

Why so difficult to get a Dr.'s consent in St. Lucia?

Choose a Dr., call, explain your situation and ask for one...

Bless up! Paul

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,675 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 25th anniversary trip - and sandals halycon - and not happy

I would suggest the same as Congomon - check with a Dr. here. They are completely able to check you out and certify you, and very quick and easy (and inexpensive).

Good luck.

new york
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 25th anniversary trip - and sandals halycon - and not happy

We stayed at La Toc last year and had to call the dr.he was at our hotel room within 1 1/2 hr . Just go to the nurses station and explain that you need a dr.s consent.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 25th anniversary trip - and sandals halycon - and not happy

I got Drs note - still unable to dive on anniversary. Only thing we had planned. Only thing we wanted to do to celebrate 25 years The form requires dr note For such things as From drinking alcohol, any medicine, allergies, frequent colds, surgeries from 40 years ago, injuries to back, arms, legs with no time frame reference, ATTEMPTING to become pregnant?

The scuba boats in negril would be empty if people filled out the forms honestly. Smoking pot or tobacco including cigars within 5 years requires a Drs note. That's bs.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 25th anniversary trip - and sandals halycon - and not happy

I got Drs note - still unable to dive on anniversary. Only thing we had planned. Only thing we wanted to do to celebrate 25 years The form requires dr note For such things as From drinking alcohol, any medicine, allergies, frequent colds, surgeries from 40 years ago, injuries to back, arms, legs with no time frame reference, ATTEMPTING to become pregnant?

The scuba boats in negril would be empty if people filled out the forms honestly. Smoking pot or tobacco including cigars within 5 years requires a Drs note. That's bs.

UK
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 25th anniversary trip - and sandals halycon - and not happy

"still unable to dive on anniversary. Only thing we had planned"

Well, it clearly wasn't "planned" very well. The Sandals website clearly says in bold red capital letters that if you answer "yes" to any of the medical questions, you'll need a doctor's note.

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,406 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 25th anniversary trip - and sandals halycon - and not happy

I had to laugh at the "attempting to become pregnant". If that is a euphemism for having sex then there would be no scuba diving.

Anywhere!

Whilst I am all for health and safety re diving it is a shame they could not issue a letter which you sign saying"at your own risk" bearing in mind your age. 'Medical condition etc.. And 53 is NOT old for diving. Grrrrh!

UK
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 25th anniversary trip - and sandals halycon - and not happy

On the contrary SLE I would be doing lots of scuba diving!!!

St. Lucia
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 25th anniversary trip - and sandals halycon - and not happy

So Chesebrgr,

1st off Congrats on 25! Now being the results oriented type, if it aint too late why not contact an independent dive operator and find out if they can make it work for you noting that you may have to have an amnesic lapse regarding some of your previous answers.

Best of luck though

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 25th anniversary trip - and sandals halycon - and not happy

I got Drs note within 2 hours. Sandals water sports refused to let us do our pool check out while we waited or after it came. I'm not saying I'm well organized or that it was well planned. Just saying they are in the business of customer service and could have made us happy by stepping out of the box for a moment. I felt like I was dealing with union members - who refused to consider doing anything but their exact job requirements.

It's all,good. Now. Lesson learned.