We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm hearing much about the mosquito's and other bugs

boston
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
I'm hearing much about the mosquito's and other bugs

I have traveled to other islands and I do expect pesky fellows, but how bad are they when you are on day trips to the rain forrest or mountain biking or hiking? We will be on the island in late October.

Thanks all

Madison, WI
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm hearing much about the mosquito's and other bugs

Mindy woke up each morning with bites on her arms and legs. Someone suggested taking Garlic pills. I started a couple of weeks prior to the trip and ended up with just one bite. We brought bug spray but never used it. Bugs were never noticable.

London UK
Level Contributor
222 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm hearing much about the mosquito's and other bugs

Stayed in Marigot Bay last June and despite usual precautions our party averaged 30-80 bites each, with my sister needing hospital treatment for them! Bear in mind this was the rainy season and we were staying admist the rainforest/mangroves and near the water. Just returned from the same place but this time we were suitably armed by using; sun lotion with insect repellant in it, strong insect repellant, mosquitto plug-ins in room along with keeping the air con and fan on all night. Which also helped was going at this time of year. Result being only having 8 bites with my sister having 18 instead of 80. Those mosquittos are vicious!!

boston
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm hearing much about the mosquito's and other bugs

Thanks Paul/mindy and evie. I am actually staying up on the opposite side in a villa, so I hope with the breeze it won't be as bad as staying down by the water?

Other than that did you all have a nice time?

Thanks

Chicago
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm hearing much about the mosquito's and other bugs

I just returned last night and as I sit here- I am scratching away- I counted 80 bites on one leg alone. Bug spray seemed to help a little and we did ask for our room to be sprayed each day! I brought Cortizone 10 to keep the itching down and make sure the bug spray you buy contains Deet. They are not like mosquitos here. I almost wonder if they are like "No-See-Um's"?? I swear I never "saw"one on my legs!

boston
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm hearing much about the mosquito's and other bugs

Thanks vpbunny. Did you stay in one of the places down by the water? Did you get most of the bites at night while sleeping do you think? Over all was it a good trip?

Illinois
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm hearing much about the mosquito's and other bugs

We had quite a few mosquito bites at the Halcyon, but we most definitely saw the buggars! We tried to kill the ones in the room before going to bed, but you can never get them all.

Garlic pills seem to be the way to go, and using Off with Deet as a backup is a good idea. I probably had 15-20 bites which itched like mad, even with Caladryl.

We hardly saw anything else besides mosquitoes, not even much in the way of flies.

Chicago
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm hearing much about the mosquito's and other bugs

We stayed at Club St. Lucia which if anyone else is reading this DONT STAY THERE- dump!! Our room was quite a ways from the water. We did hear people who spent time on the beach got it worse and also got bitten by the sand fleas!!

Over all the trip was great! We made the best of our resort with the help of all of the fun people staying there who were in the same boat! It's a tropical island and when it POURS every night and then gets into the high 80-'s each day- I guess you have bugs! It seemed to be the worst at night when we were sleeping.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm hearing much about the mosquito's and other bugs

How bad are the bugs around the Sandals Grande?... or is it pretty much the same for the whole island?

London
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm hearing much about the mosquito's and other bugs

The mozzies at the Grande were minimal. I probably only got 4 bites during a two week stay, whereas our first week on the Iskand was spent in a villa at the Cap Estate where i got eaten alive. Other people we met at the Grande did have bites though, so maybe we were just lucky :-).

OGG
England
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: I'm hearing much about the mosquito's and other bugs

Stayed at Club St Lucia for two weeks in January and I was nealy eaten alive. It doesnt help, when there is a SEWERAGE PLANT right in the centre of the camp....The stench is apalling........DONT GO THERE !!!!!!!