We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK to St Lucia - JFK Connection Question

Rothesay
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Topic
JFK to St Lucia - JFK Connection Question

We are looking at booking Portland Maine to UVF but have only a 48 minute layover in JFK. We are flying Jet Blue. I do not know JFK very well but am concerned with the time to change planes? The flight from Portland to JFK has a 98% on time rating so assuming arriving in JFK on time is this a doable transfer?

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,954 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK to St Lucia - JFK Connection Question

Bon jou ColdinNB,

Yes, your transfer is doable with a 48 mins layover.

Jet Blue Portland->JFK arrival (domestic) is to Terminal 5.

Jet Blue JFK->UVF departure is from Terminal 5.

Bless up! Paul

Peaks Island, Maine
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK to St Lucia - JFK Connection Question

I've done this flight before and it is very doable.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK to St Lucia - JFK Connection Question

Is it 45 minutes on the way there or the way home? It's not long enough for the way home because you have to go through Immigration and Customs, and if you check bags, you need to pick those up and re-check. It is do-able on the way there, but be prepared to run. It seems to always be the way with a short layover :)

Rothesay
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK to St Lucia - JFK Connection Question

Short connection is on the way to St lucia, so no customs . We usually connect through Philadelpia to Jamaica and are used to tight connections as flights from Bangor/Portland land in Terminal F and Jamaica departures are in A. We have had to run many time and missed the connection once. (US Airways were closing the doors when we arrived and would not reopen so we had the additional agony of looking at our plane sit at the gate for 10 minutes).

I am comfortable that without the terminal change at JFK it is very doable so....tickets were purchased last night. $546 per person which is 1/2 the cost of Air Canada from our home town. My wife has always wanted to see New York, so i told her if we miss our connection this wil be our chance! Not sure of shorts and tee shirts in NY in Feb though. :)

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK to St Lucia - JFK Connection Question

Fantastic price! We paid $637/pp and I jumped on that because it was so good!

Southern Pines...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK to St Lucia - JFK Connection Question

Sorry to say--been there, done that--and it can't be done returning! Problem is at JFK, unlike Miami now, you must collect your bags, clear customs, leave the restricted area, get back in the line to re-enter the restricted area then get to your gate! Can't be done in 48 minutes I don't think, but best of luck! You'll have a great time in St Lucia anyway, I'm sure!

Edited: 12 September 2013, 23:39
St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,892 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JFK to St Lucia - JFK Connection Question

Lol - I think you missed post 4 tdoc68, the short connection is on the way TO St. Lucia, not on the return. The short connection is enough time on the way TO the island, assuming everything is on time.

Everyone (hopefully) knows that anything less than 2 hours on the return to the US from a foreign country is too short. You need a minimum of 2 hours on return to make immigration, customs, re-check, etc.

Sorry if you got caught short on a return - next time you know!

All the best!

Rothesay
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: JFK to St Lucia - JFK Connection Question

Thanks for all the reply’s.

No worries, we have 4 hours on the return flight to clear customs and immigration at JFK. It was only the “going to St Lucia Flight” we were concerned with.

9. Re: JFK to St Lucia - JFK Connection Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2014, 06:34