We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I know its subjective, but Curacao or St Lucia ?

north carolina
Level Contributor
55 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
I know its subjective, but Curacao or St Lucia ?

We are torn between these two locations for our next getaway. Husband and i are both divers, and we have dove both st lucia and curacao via cruise ships, and like both for the availability of shore diving and water clarity. We like the adults only option of the Sandals in St Lucia, but the Avila in Curacao is also tempting (even thought its not adults only) . . . we are in need of a break from whats been an extra hectic work period and we want EASY and good service . . . so just looking for input from folks that have done both ? thanks so much !

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,027 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I know its subjective, but Curacao or St Lucia ?

Are you set on Sandals in St. Lucia as the option there, or are you open to other accommodation options (assuming kid-free or few kids)? There may be other lodging options that suit your wants also. Sandals are good - but they are a fair distance from most dive sites....the Soufriere region may be better suited.

Which island will somewhat depend on what else you are looking for besides diving (you can't dive 24/7!). Do you want to just lounge at a resort and not have to think about/worry about anything? Are you interested in off-property/local dining? Nightlife/daytime activities? Anything else during the day besides diving - hiking, Atv, zipline, plantation tours, mineral/mud baths, etc? If so, again, Soufriere region is a great spot...

Curacao and St. Lucia are very different islands topography, culture, activities, navigation, etc - depends on if you want lush, mountainous, dramatic scenery with cove beaches and excellent diving or more flat, arid, easy to get around with great diving too. The islands are tough to compare as they are just so different....and also, time of year will make a difference as Curacao is out of the hurricane belt completely and will be drier over all than St. Lucia, which is south of the main hurricane belt, but is a wet, rainforest island.

I'm sure you would enjoy either one - good luck with your decision!

north carolina
Level Contributor
55 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I know its subjective, but Curacao or St Lucia ?

Thanks for asking the questions!

Not set on sandals, just trying to avoid kids.

Just want to dive mornings then be at a resort where we can lounge and have good service. ..... No interest in nightlife, ziplines, etc. Don't want to rent a car, but are open to local restaurants.... So walking or fairly short cab ride.

Topography doesn't really matter, just did bora bora in may so we got our fix of looking at lush, but of course st Lucia is soooo beautiful it would be nice to have that view!

Oh, i do have "issues" with seeing animals in bad shape, to the point I became physically ill in playa del Carmen when we were in a cab and saw a dog that I'm sure was dying while people walked right by, and I won't go off resort in cozumel because of their treatment of carriage horses .... I know this is just a truth in the Caribbean if one island is better than another that would be helpful. So that's why resort, surrounding area and ease is important...... We aren't looking for an adventure this time, just some diving and relaxing and trying to get a feel for that.... Again, the "easy" factor.... We are looking at going in January so hurricane not an issue.

I know there are no guarantees no matter what we choose, we really are split 50/50 and trying to tip the scale either way. Thanks so much!!!!

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,027 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I know its subjective, but Curacao or St Lucia ?

You may want to check out Sugar Beach or Anse Chastenet, which both have walk-out snorkel/diving, have amazing views of the Pitons, are both upscale resorts with few, if any children (AC doesn't allow younger than 12), both with several dining options, etc. Sugar Beach also incldues plunge pools for every room, a stellar spa (best on the island), butler service in every room, and so on. AC has no pools but 2 beautiful beaches associated with the property, more dining options, etc. Both have their own dive shops.

Up north, Rendezvous may be a consideration (our favorite Ai/AO on the island). Adults only, intimate (100 rooms) long stretch of beach, lovely pools, great food and service, etc. Some diving is included (we're not divers so can't comment on what's included there). LeSport/The BodyHoliday may be a great choice too - AI, includes an hour long spa treatment each day, great food and service, short cab ride to Rodney Bay for more dining (similar to cab ride from the Sandals Grande).

There are lots of options around the island. Sandals is good, don't get me wrong. The stay at 1, play at all 3 is a bonus too - you can enjoy the different beaches and restaurants and atmospheres. The Grande is the only one where the boat leaves direct from the resort, the others require short bus rides to the marina. All Sandals are in the north, with the majority of dive sites in the southwest Soufriere region, so be prpared for a bit of a noat ride. I would suggest messaging Nikko4me about the diving from Sandals, they just returned and have a thread running called Latest Updates to Sandals Grande, and did 11 dives, I think. They would be very helpful, I'm sure.

Enjoy, whichever place you choose!

north carolina
Level Contributor
55 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I know its subjective, but Curacao or St Lucia ?

We dove from anse chastened and thought it looked great, but staff wasn't so friendly.... Husband said its because nobody likes cruise ship passengers, but we cruise to scope out spots to go back to. It's silly to me to drop several thousand dollars to go someplace just to be disappointed.... With the cruise experience its really helped us eliminate dive spots that don't work for us. I didn't know BT the over 12 at AC tho.... Will keep watching and thinking. :0). Thanks again for all the info !

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
857 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I know its subjective, but Curacao or St Lucia ?

Just curious - why Curaçao and not Bonaire? Bonaire has outstanding diving - arguably the best in the Caribbean. Bonaire has numerous shore diving sites.

We love St Lucia (even thinking of buying a place there), but we've been to Bonaire and are going back again this Christmas. If you're interested, I can compare the two.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: I know its subjective, but Curacao or St Lucia ?

Bon jou LRSNorthCarolina,

St. Lucia, of course!

Soufriere, the heart of The Pitons World Heritage Site.

Stonefield Estate Villas... for plenty TLC. Walk along the beach or take a quick taxi into Soufriere.

Walk 10 min downhill to Malgretoute Beach for incredible shore dives - Piton Wall, Superman's Flight - at the foot of the Petit Piton (north side).

Then contact Chester @ Action Adventure Divers on Soufriere Beach (next to Hummingbird Resort) for a dive boat to the Gros Piton, Grande Caille headlands, Anse Chastenet for more breathtaking dives...

Turtle Reef, Fairy Land, Key Hole Pinnacles, Trou Diable, Coral Gardens.

AND, only for very experienced divers, the Blue Hole @ Anse L'Ivrogne / Sevoigne...

Bless up! Paul

Edited: 13 September 2013, 06:23
Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: I know its subjective, but Curacao or St Lucia ?

Congomon

~Walk 10 min downhill to Malgretoute Beach for incredible shore dives - Piton Wall, Superman's Flight - at the foot of the Petit Piton (north side).~

Is this new? Is there a dive shop at Malgretoute now with tanks or operator offering actual shore dives from Malgretoute Beach? Wondering how this would work?

Thanks

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: I know its subjective, but Curacao or St Lucia ?

@ Flowers... "Then contact Chester @ Action Adventure Divers on Soufriere Beach (next to Hummingbird Resort) for a dive boat..." NOT Malgretoute Beach.

north carolina
Level Contributor
55 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I know its subjective, but Curacao or St Lucia ?

Thank you ! appreciate it !!

north carolina
Level Contributor
55 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I know its subjective, but Curacao or St Lucia ?

Thank you ! appreciate it !!