We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes

Bristol
Level Contributor
111 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes

Hi, Were coming to St Lucia on Tuesday. I have read a number of reviews mentioning the amount of mosquitoes at the moment. They love me!! Does anyone have any tips other than the 50% Deet i've already packed?

Peaks Island, Maine
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes

Deet kind of sucks because it is toxic and not really good for your body or the environment. We've found that you can purchase natural mosquito bands that work quite well. You can wear them on your wrists and ankles, especially when you sleep at night. They work especially good if you get some citronella oil and soak the bands before using them. The scent of the citronella confuses the mosquitoes and they simply buzz off. The trick with the bands for efficacy is to store them in a zip lock bag when you are not using them and that way they stay fresh.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,005 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes

Bon jou Eric Bristol,

Apply one drop of Citronella or Clove Oil to pressure points at throat, inner elbows, inside wrists, back of knees, ankles morning & night.

OR

For natural anti-mosquito remedies check out www.gocaribbeanblue.com/herbals.htm‎ are available on island at M & C Drugstores or Super J's Supermarkets...

OR

Check out a new line of DEET-free Anti-Mosquito products at www.incognito.us

OR

Permetherin can, also, be sprayed on clothing and lasts 2-6 weeks (through washing).

Sold at Target, Walmart or online... amazon.com/gp/…

Bless up! Paul

Bristol
Level Contributor
111 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes

Thanks Keith and Paul for some reallly good tips. I'm going to get the wrist band, Citronella and spray from the health shop today. Two more sleeps.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
575 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes

We travel often, and rarely get bothered by mosquitoes. And living in Canada we have loads of them here to deal with. But we got brutalized by them in St. Lucia. And the natural stuff we brought didn't help a bit. So after day three, we switched back to deet. Just a thought.

toronto
Level Contributor
441 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes

Are they bad just in the evening or do you get them on the beach during the day?

leeds
Level Contributor
364 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes

I find the more bottles of piton you drink the less the mosquitoes seem to bother you, maybe they don't like the blood in my alcohol .

toronto
Level Contributor
441 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitoes

Ive tried that, never worked for me before

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
575 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitoes

The Piton helps during the trip, but not while itching back in Canada two weeks after my vacation. These seemed to be especially itchy bites, compared to the Canadian mosquitoes I am used to. They seemed to get us in the evenings and in the trees.

toronto
Level Contributor
441 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitoes

I"m bad enough in Canada

Johnstown, Colorado
Level Contributor
356 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitoes

We just spent a week in St. Lucia and I got only 1 bite and my husband got none. We forgot bug spray so maybe just got lucky but we never saw a mosquito!