We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight To UVF with Layover in ATL

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flight To UVF with Layover in ATL

Has anyone done a flight to St. Lucia with only a 45 minute layover in Atlanta and had good luck? Flights are booked and getting nervous about the 45 minute layover. Our trip is in February, so weather could be anything. I have been watching the flight statuses over the last few weeks, and most arrive within a few minutes but some not. If someone has been on a flight like this, can you comment if your luggage made it when you did. If the luggage didn't make it, what happened?

We are bringing our golf clubs and don't want to have them miss the connection. Would it be worth the change fees to change to the night before in addition to a hotel room in Atlanta.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,891 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight To UVF with Layover in ATL

It is doable, and 99% of the time, the luggage makes it also. However, you are banking on everything across the board going right - your first flight getting in on time or early, no weather delays anywhere along the line, and so on. Personally, I would be a stressed out wreck with that tight of a connection. It is doable though, and if you can handle the stress, then I would leave it as is. Otherwise, if it is going to cause you to worry too much beforehand (and it obviously is as you're posting about it here!), then you may want to consider overnighting, just to be on the safe side. Can't make that call for you though, as I don't have any idea what your stress tolerance is, and what other options you may have. Keep in mind, it's only one flight per day that Delta flies down here, and it's not everyday of the week - so if you do miss it, it could be a day or two before you get down here! (same goes for your luggage: if it misses the connection, it will come down on the next available flight, which could be the next day, or day after, depending on schedule).

Given all that - personally, I would be overnighting. I hate the stress of maybe not making it, of our belongings not coming with us, and so on. For my peace of mind (and my husband's!), we overnight most times just to be careful. That said, lots of people make that connection just fine - so it's a toss up. Good luck - and enjoy your visit!!!

MN
Level Contributor
145 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight To UVF with Layover in ATL

We are taking the same flight in March. Now I'm nervous!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight To UVF with Layover in ATL

I have been monitoring it the last few weeks and even when the weather was a bit bad (icey out) the flight was still on time. I think we may just stick with it. The last time we went to St. Lucia, we overnighted in ATL. The cost to change the flight now is quite pricey so I don't know if I want to spend the extra money.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight To UVF with Layover in ATL

We took that flight in 2010, and made it by the skin of our teeth! Our flights had been changed several times, first by Delta, and then because of hurricane Tomas, so we didn't really have an option to switch them to a flight with a longer layover. I think our flight landed in A and we needed to be in F. You have to hop on a train, and someone needed assistance, so the train just sat and sat. I was stressing, and my husband was laughing at me. He was like we're going to make it or we're not. Sitting here stressing isn't changing anything. We got to F, and it was crowded and everyone was standing on the escalator rather than walking, and there was no room to pass. They were calling our names on the overhead when we got there, and one couple came on behind us. Both of us were sweaty and out of breath. We made it though :)

We are going through JFK this time, and only had a 30 minute layover. They've changed the times a little on each end, and now we have about a 40 minute layover. It looks like the flights leave from that terminal, so it should be better than Atlanta was. Doing overnights are hard though. My husband doesn't have the extra vacation time, and it's extra expense. I'd probably chance it, and if you miss the flight, there is probably one going out the next day?

madison wisconsin
Level Contributor
926 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight To UVF with Layover in ATL

I've done that exact flight (45 mins) at least 3 times and each time totally made it, luggage made it. However, it was quite a sprint each time. As noted, be sure to take the train and not sprint the whole way. If everything is on time, etc., you shouldn't have any problems. All 3 of mine were because we were delayed out of originating airport. I now, however, when traveling to SL avoid ATL and usually go through Miami (which isn't much better, but our choices are limited coming from WI). :) Enjoy!

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight To UVF with Layover in ATL

Just my opinion, but I would stick with the original flight, pack shorts, swim suits and toiletries in the carry on and get trip insurance just in case the rest is delayed or you miss your connection.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight To UVF with Layover in ATL

I am pretty sure we are just going to stick with the original flight we booked. I am just worring about things I can't control. I am going to look into the trip insurance to be on the safe side. I think what I might do is keep an eye on the weather the week prior and maybe have a chance to change it with no fee? Have done this in the past.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight To UVF with Layover in ATL

I'd be very surpirsed if you can change it with no fee. Even if you have insurance, unless your flight is cancelled, you normally can't change it without paying penalties.

If you have insurance, at least if you have to stay until the next day, your hotel for the night would be covered.

I wouldn't worry about your luggage making it. I think the luggage has a better chance of making it than people, lol. They don't have to fight the crowds and wait on a train to get the luggage to the plane. :)

Don't worry about things you can't change. Get insurance so you're covered, and hope for the best. If my first flight is delayed, I'm going to miss my connection, too. There's nothing you can do about it. Just be prepared to run and don't stop to go to the bathroom or anything. Get to the gate, and then if you have some time, you can take a bathroom break, etc. Good luck!

9. Re: Flight To UVF with Layover in ATL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2014, 05:16