We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in August, should we push it back?

Caledonia MI
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Honeymoon in August, should we push it back?

I am getting married on August 9th, 2014. I just started a new job and found it vacation time is accrued for use in the next year, which means I wouldn't have a "regular" schedule of vacation time until 2015. Thinking I would only have 2 vacation days and 1 personal day, we figured we would just push off the honeymoon until January. This opened up a lot of options for us in the Caribbean outside of Hurricane season.

We love the look of St Lucia and it is our #1 choice in the Caribbean. We figured January would be an easy time to go, but were still a little bummed about the idea of waiting 5 months for our honeymoon.

Then I found out that I can use up to 4 days from my sick leave for "discretionary leave" every year, so there is a good chance that I can still be approved for an August honeymoon.

BUT supposedly this is the rainy season, and there is a minimal risk of hurricane impact. We definitely want to spend a lot of time outdoors exploring and a fair amount of beach time, maybe scuba also. It won't ruin the trip if we have 1 or 2 rainy days out of the week, and we can tolerate a few small short lived downpours no problem, but I'd definitely hope that most of the days would be mostly sunny.

Also, does the sea breeze hold strong in August? We don't want the heat to be intolerable, and find that this usually helps a lot when there is some humidity and temps climb past the mid 80s.

So what do you think? Would you go right after the wedding or is it really worth the wait to go after hurricane season in December/January?

Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Vieux Fort, Gros Islet
Level Contributor
2,205 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in August, should we push it back?

Hi,

Whilst August is the rainy season it is not always that bad. We have done July the last 3 years and only lost less than 1 day per week to prolonged rain, plus a few short(ie minutes) showers each day And as you say you don't mind a bit of rain it should not be a problem to you. So if you want an August honeymoon go for it.

STEVE

UK
Level Contributor
611 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in August, should we push it back?

Prepare yourself, more rain means more mosquitos. This year, while there were no significant hurricanes, the region did see a lot of precipitation. The wind might be a little stronger, but considering it always comes from a NE direction it will cool. If you are going to swim and scuba on the Western side of the island it should be fine. You might get the occasional day that is overcast - do take out travel insurance.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
822 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in August, should we push it back?

I was there in early September. And it rained a little every day. But, only for 10 - 15 minutes at a time. We didn't lose any days to rain. It's much more affordable to go in August also. St. Lucia is far enough south that they aren't normally threatened by hurricanes. I would go in August.

Caledonia MI
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in August, should we push it back?

Thanks! The drop in rates is greater than I expected and I am encouraged by what I hear about weather and rain patterns here. I'm thinking we are going to go in August! I definitely prefer an immediate honeymoon to the idea of just returning to work after the wedding weekend and having to wait so long! :)

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in August, should we push it back?

You'll be fine in August, go right after your wedding!!

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in August, should we push it back?

Just be sure you buy trip insurance!!! We went to St Lucia in November a few years ago, and our trip was delayed due to a hurricane that hit on Halloween. You just never know. It's cheaper rates, but a chance you take. Have trip insurance, preferable with a "cancel for any reason" waiver, and you'll be all set.

Caledonia MI
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in August, should we push it back?

Do you have a good company for trip insurance? I've never bought it but looked into it briefly, found a bunch of policies with health coverage which we won't need because of our plans. Plus we are using points for airfare so that might complicate things and lots of the hotels we have looked at have free cancellation as long as you make the call within 24 or 48 hours or something.

Vieux Fort, St...
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon in August, should we push it back?

Where were you considering for your honeymoon? If you book somewhere like the all inclusives they are busy in th school holiday, with lots of entertainment etc. so if it rains, who cares?

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon in August, should we push it back?

I normally use Sandals insurance for the cancel for any reason waiver just because having that clause on most insurances is expensive. At Sandals, it's only $99/pp. However, their coverage otherwise isn't that great. And you would lose your air, but the hotel is covered if I cancelled for a hurricane. And you of course would have to go to Sandals, lol.

I use Travelex when my trips are outside of hurricane season, and don't get the cancel for any reason portion then. Most of their coverage amounts are higher than the Sandals one. Keep in mind, trip insurance also covers emergency medical evacuations and medical coverage outside of the country. I would assume your personal health insurance doesn't cover that. And it also covers things like lost baggage and trip delays.

Caledonia MI
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon in August, should we push it back?

Thankfully my personal insurance does cover medical costs outside of the country! I would have to pay my deductible first but it's low. I wish there was just a standard "reimburse in case of weather emergency" insurance without paying for extras I don't need :)

Get answers to your questions about St. Lucia