We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking with toddler!!

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking with toddler!!

Hello all on the forum!

Tx so much for the great tips!

Got a question for you: we will be staying for 2 weeks at end of March in St Lucia. My husband, my 20 month old daughter and myself. We have a child carrier (the big backpack type carrier) for our little lady and we are used to long walks. We have done jungle walks and peak walks in Costa Rica-Grenada and Tobago, but this is the first time with little daughter.

What kind of walks do you think we can do? Are the Pitons OK? I really would like to try them both, but not sure if the hike is too steep while carrying a child.

Anything else? It could be a full day or half day walk.

Any suggestion much appreciated.

Ah, what about the guide thing?...I see that one some sites you clearly need a guide (which?), but not in others.

We would like to avoid the pacakged tours where htey throw you on a coach, drive you there then offer you lunch. We are really after an experienced guide who tells us about the island.

And if there are any nice walks without the guide, please share them: for these ones we could take it easier and do frequent stops to let little daughter rest :-)

Thanks again!!

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,911 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking with toddler!!

Bon jou annina75,

Where on island will you stay?

Hikes/walks in the north...

Pt. Hardy Trail (From Esperance Bay to Pigeon Island)

Donkey Beach (Gros Tslet)

Dauphin Beach (Monchy)

Latille Gardens & Waterfalls (Micoud, contact Celi 758 454 0202)

Hikes/walks further south...

Bois de Nave Waterfalls (Anse La Raye)

Tet Paul Trail

Saltibus Waterfalls (Saltibus)

Morne La Blanc (Laborie)

Moule a Chique (Vieux Fort)

Most all hikes/walks in St. Lucia require or recommend hiring a guide for a better (local knowledge) & safer (staying on track) experience...

Bless up! Paul

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking with toddler!!

We are staying in vieux fort area.

Thanks for the great list!can we cope with child carrier you reckon?

Where do u get guides? Park entrance?

Tx again

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking with toddler!!

The pitons?.. I suppose it depends on how fit you are. Sounds unbelievably hard to me to take largish toddler up strapped to you. And unless you go very early it's very very hot

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking with toddler!!

Thanks! I just don't know ;-)

We are fit but not mad ;-)

Peaks Island, Maine
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking with toddler!!

The hike up to the top of the Gros Piton gets a little bit rocky, especially as you get closer to the top. It would be a little bit of a challenge with a toddler on your back if you are not used to that sort of terrain.

A good hike to do would be the Tet Paul. This trail has really good views of the Pitons and you wouldn't likely have any issues. It's a great hike to take some really good photos and see the area. For this hike, you pick up a guide at the start of the trail. The guides kind of give you a "canned script" but if you ask a lot of questions you can find out some really interesting things about the area and have a really good time.

One shorter "coastal" hike you could do is at Anse Chastanet. You could take the little trail from Anse Chastanet to Anse Mamin. For this you wouldn't need a guide. This is a great spot to go to have a little picnic.

Another nice walk you can do without a guide is at Jerusalem Falls

…blogspot.com/2009/04/new-jerusalem-mineral-…

This place has a nice local vibe and is fum to explore.

Not sure if you have your own car or not but if you do, you can always hire a local guide by the day or half day to take you around to see some special sites. This is a good way to learn about the area and see things that you might not otherwise see, without having to "be in the middle seat" of the packaged tours :) You can also just hire a driver/guide who has a car to take you around.

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking with toddler!!

Brilliant.Thanks again for the tips :-)

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking with toddler!!

Sorry guys me again...I am now in possession of a decent St Lucia road map and I cannot find soe of the walks you mention..

Can you please tell me where they are on the map? For example:

Pt. Hardy Trail (From Esperance Bay to Pigeon Island): Pt Hardy is on north east and so Esp. bay, but Pigeon Isl is north west so you'd ned to cross the top half of the island?

Donkey Beach (Gros Tslet): can't find this beach on the map at al :-(

Dauphin Beach (Monchy): as above, where is Dauphin beach, hai it got another name??

Latille Gardens & Waterfalls (Micoud, contact Celi 758 454 0202): cannot find the waterfalls..

Hikes/walks further south...

Bois de Nave Waterfalls (Anse La Raye): I am so clueless, where are they?

Tet Paul Trail

Saltibus Waterfalls (Saltibus): I see there is a beautiful hike along the coast from Saltibus..is this it?

Morne La Blanc (Laborie): stiull looking for this one...

Moule a Chique (Vieux Fort)

I got this map from amazon and it is quite deatuled. It shows the trail paths but I cannot match these to the ones you hAve kindly mentioned..

Is any of the above a forest walk? I see there are many signed on the map and we ealy like forest walks.

Tx for your help

Anna

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,788 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking with toddler!!

Sent you a PM covering some of these! What map did you find that is "quite detailed"? Just curious as most roads, etc around here are not named.....curious what details it has! lol.

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking with toddler!!

Yes, seen the email! Tx :-) and I have just replied to you.

The map is this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/St-Lucia-itm-Amerika-International/dp/1553413830/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392662678&sr=8-1&keywords=st+lucia+map

St Lucia itm (r) - 1/40: ITMB Amerika (International Travel Maps)

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,911 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiking with toddler!!

Bon jou Anna,

Not all St. Lucia road maps are complete or very clear... which one are you using?

The Point Hardy Trail on the East Coast runs from Pt. Hardy to Esperance Bay. From Rodney Bay-Gros Islet village (Pigeon Point) you can walk 2 m NE (or taxi, or infrequent mini-bus) through Cap Estate passing the St. Lucia Golf Resort & Country Club to Cas En Bas Beach (Marjorie's Beach Bar & Restaurant). Walk north from Cas En Bas to the secluded coves of Secret Beach and a mile further to Donkey Beach.

Dauphin Beach (Port Dauphin) 2.4 m E/SE from Rodney Bay-Gros Islet, passing through the community of Monchy.

Latille Gardens & Waterfalls is accessed from the community of Micoud on the Atlantic Coast, follow the Heritage Tourism signs or ask a local.

Bois de Nave Waterfalls is located just outside of Anse La Raye to the south. Not marked, ask a local. 1 - 2 miles on a paved road then a path to waterfall...

Tet Paul Trail is located a 10 min drive south of Soufriere on the main West Coast Road. Turn right at sign for Tet Paul and Fond Doux Plantation Resort. Turn left at Fond Doux entrance. 1/4 mile more to Tet Paul Trail parking & entrance.

Saltibus is in the interior, not on the coast. Turn left (away from the sea) off the West Coast Road about halfway between Choiseul & Laborie (which are on the Caribbean coast). The Saltibus Waterfalls is a moderate hike (through tropical forest) above the village of Saltibus.

Morne Le Blanc is a hill/small mountain to the east overlooking Laborie Village and the south of the island. The hike (+/- 45 min) is on a fairly steep paved road. Located a 10 min walk north of the Shell Service Station on the West Cost Road. A wooden platform at the top is above tree line for better views.

Moule a Chique, the southernmost point of the island, is located in Vieux Fort town at the south end of New Dock Road. Park and walk up to the lighthouse.

Rainforest hikes in St. Lucia are Gros Piton (which you can easily hike with your toddler to the halfway viewi point from our base at Anse L'Ivrogne/Sevoigne), En Bas Saut, Barre De L'Isle, Des Cartiers Rainforest Trail, Forestiere Trail and shorter trails in the Edmund Forest Reserve.

Blessings! Paul

Edited: 17 February 2014, 21:34