We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airlines from Newark Liberty Airport?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Airlines from Newark Liberty Airport?

I just started researching a first trip to St. Lucia. I used the "search" option in trip advisor to ask my questions, but kept getting older posts.

Any suggestions of which airlines to use to travel from Newark to St. Lucia?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
787 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airlines from Newark Liberty Airport?

No directs from EWR. JetBlue flys direct from JFK.

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
565 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airlines from Newark Liberty Airport?

I think there are some times of year when some airline flies direct from PHL. Otherwise JFK is your only option. It is well worth the direct flight, the layovers to/from St Lucia can be ridiculous.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,701 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airlines from Newark Liberty Airport?

JetBlue, AA, Delta and US Airways are your airline choices from the US. AA and Delta have stops in their hubs (Miami and Atlanta respectively). JetBlue is direct from JFK, and US AIrways has flown direct from Philly during the winter months in the past - however with the AA merger, who knows if that route will continue (and it was only once a week, Sat-Sat).

Best bet - head to JFK and take Jet Blue - definitely the most convenient (and often cheapest) route.

Enjoy your trip!

Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airlines from Newark Liberty Airport?

I thought United airlines had started non stop flights to St. Lucia out of Newark this summer.

Did this not end up happening?

https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/company-op…

Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Airlines from Newark Liberty Airport?

from the article

"United flight 1642 departs Newark Liberty (EWR) on Saturdays at 8:55 a.m., arriving at the Hewanorra International Airport (UVF) in St. Lucia at 1:48 p.m. The return flight, United 1643, departs St. Lucia on Saturdays at 2:38 p.m., arriving in Newark at 7:33 p.m. "

6. Re: Airlines from Newark Liberty Airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 February 2014, 17:50
Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Airlines from Newark Liberty Airport?

I don't know.... from Newark Liberty (EWR) Saturday flights non stop show up for me on United Airlines. Even with current Feb. dates available. It started summer 2013.

Edited: 07 February 2014, 17:21
St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,701 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airlines from Newark Liberty Airport?

Hmm, looks like that is the case, at least according to their website. Good catch Flowers.

Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Airlines from Newark Liberty Airport?

I think it might be safe to say that United does offer non stop Saturday flights from, Newark Liberty (EWR) to (UVF)

This will be a good option and price for us, from Chicago!

USA Today news report

July 16, 2013

"United Airlines began flying to the Caribbean island of St. Lucia this past weekend. The carrier's inaugural flight flew from Newark Liberty to St. Lucia's Hewanorra International Airport (UVF) on Saturday. United will offer one flight a week on the route, flying 154-seat Boeing 737-800 jets between the cities each Saturday."

usatoday.com/story/…

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airlines from Newark Liberty Airport?

Thank you everyone for the great information.

Do you travel into Hewanorra Airport (UVF) and then travel to your destination from there? If I understand the quote below, George Charles Airport (SLU) is for smaller flights? I saw this description of the airports online:

"St. Lucia has two airports: Hewanorra International Airport (UVF), located in the southern town of Vieux Fort (approximately 40 miles south of Castries), and George Charles Airport (SLU) located in Castries, the capital city of St. Lucia. Most international jet flights land at Hewanorra, which is the larger of the two, and smaller flights from within the Caribbean region land at George Charles Airport."

Any suggestions for transportation from the airport to St. James/Morgan Bay in Gros Islet?

Thanks again,

Valerie