We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live from SGSL!

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,684 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Live from SGSL!

Thought I'd start this thread for anyone coming to the Grande in the near future who might have questions. Hopefully any TA regulars who are here now will also chime in!

We arrived late yesterday afternoon to approx a 40 min line-up in immigration. The line moved steadily tho and the wait wasn't bad at all. At the Sandals lounge we were very pleasantly surprised to find that Mr. Beviere (the GM) had arranged a nice transport in a 6 door Mercedes limo...thank you Carl! Our driver was Vincent and he was terrific...it made the 90 minute drive go by quickly, which for me was a blessing as I easily get motion sick.

We hadn't requested any particular bldg in advance, though our last two stays have been in two of the buildings around the lagoon pools. I was quite happy to be back there again, in a top floor room overlooking Rodney Bay.

Dinner last night was at the pub, delicious as usual. After a glass of wine in lobby while listening to a very good singer, we turned in for an early night.

As I write this now, we are lounging at the lagoon pools. There are cabanas here now which are new since our last trip. 4 are still available as are one set of loungers under the umbrellas.

First impressions today are very favourable. All the staff are friendly....lots of painting and freshening up being done around the resort....breakfast and lunch at the Bayside was excellent (buffet both times). Tonight we are dining at Gordon's so will miss the beach party, but we can catch it next week.

If anyone has any questions, pls post them here and I'll do my best to find out the answers!

And now into the pool for a swim!

Syracuse, New York
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Live from SGSL!

We will be visiting SGSL for the first time in late April. I am anxious to follow your posts and read all I can about the beautiful island of St. Lucia

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
165 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Live from SGSL!

Hi TP,

It's great to hear you and B are once again enjoying SGSL - which is definitely next on our list after a second visit to SWH next Jan/Feb. Enjoy the spectacular views and have an amazing trip as we await another polar vortex which rolls into Grand Rapids tomorrow. As you lounge at the lagoon pools with tropical weather and beverages in St. Lucia, let me provide a free, and valuable, service by helping you appreciate your good fortune for a moment. Below is our actual weather forecast for the next few days:

The brutal cold really settles in Tuesday night and Wednesday with lows just above zero and highs near 10 above. By Friday morning temps will be in the double digits below zero for many outlying areas away from the lake. The metro locations will bottom out between 4 and 8 below…before we factor in the wind.

Okay, now please continue to send us all some great on scene updates so we can pretend we are there!

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Live from SGSL!

I thought of you this morning! So glad you're finally there and you arrived safely! And in a 6 door limo!!! WOW! That sounds better than the helicopter to me! :)

For the cabanas that you mentioned, do you need to reserve them, or pay for them, or just first come first served?

So excited to hear more from you! So, I assume the wifi is working well? 35 days! Enjoy!

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,684 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Live from SGSL!

Andie...St. Lucia is breathtakingly beautiful...we did several excursions on our last trip here and haven't decided yet what to do this trip, but I did pick up a number of brochures at the Island Routes desk today. I'm happy to see the Simon Says tour is still offered here and I highly recommend it.

PB...I truly do feel for you as we were getting so tired of the snow and cold...thank you for making us appreciate St. Lucia even more! :) Today it varied between puffy white clouds and blue skies, to moments of grey rainy looking clouds. I did feel a light mist for maybe 15 seconds and that was it. There is little humidity...at least I'm not feeling it....and there is constantly a nice ocean breeze.

BSB...it appears these cabanas are a first come basis, but I'm not positive on that so will ask for sure. A good number were free today...no problem in getting shade.

We also had drink service at the pool 5x today, which is nice as the bar is a bit of a hike from the lagoon pools.

We did a walk to the other end of the resort this afternoon and discovered that the lower cascade pool is completely empty and work being done on it. I plan to find out when they expect to reopen it and will post the info.

All in all a very lazy first full day! We are sitting on our balcony having a glass of wine before dinner at Gordon's. Oh, and meant to mention that we had no difficulty in getting dinner reservations at the other two Sandals or here. We made them through Club Sandals. For those staying in standard level rooms, you can make your dinner reservations at the culinary desk in the lobby.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,684 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Live from SGSL!

BSB... Just want to clarify that the cabanas I mentioned above are only the ones at the lagoon pools.

Wifi is ok...my greatest difficulty is that there is no TA laptop here, only an iPad. Since I brought my own iPad I'm posting on it, but much prefer a laptop to "type" rather than a touch screen. So bear with me on any spelling mistakes as I'm not previewing before posting!

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Live from SGSL!

OMG, typing on a touchscreen is the worst! I totally understand, and it's just one of those things we have to deal with to go to paradise, lol!

Interesting about the one pool being closed; especially in peak season. And great to know there's no issues getting shade! Love your posts and living vicariously through you! :)

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,198 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Live from SGSL!

TP, hi!! Glad to see you made in good order. I really dislike keying on an I-Pad too and always bring my laptop. I like the I-Pad for video and to Facetime the family. Are you in the building overlooking the lagoon pool? We love that lobby at the Grande, what a perfect way to use that same. We will continue to watch for your posts and count down for our November arrival at the Grande.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Live from SGSL!

Hey TP! Nice to see you posting live and hopefully you are actually relaxing now........ and enjoying your dinner at Gordon's. Interested to follow your posts...... does B know you're posting live? Or are you being secretive about it? LOL

Anyhow, sending our hugs and wishes for a wonderful stay! <3

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,137 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Live from SGSL!

Glad to learn you made it, tp..was actually enviously in a good way thinking of u today. Btw. I am on my iPad now...you will always know when I'm on my iPad because it will be riddled with spelling errors and crazy non sensical auto correct words. Cheers. Tc

Edited: 25 February 2014, 01:00
Portland, Maine...
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Live from SGSL!

This is going to be a fantastic thread! TP - I'm so glad you arrived, had a grand arrival, and are now home where you belong! I will be following along seeing if you can entice me to sneak away from Jamaica...

I also MUCH prefer a keyboard than an iPad but if it makes you feel better I always do all my on-site reports from the iPad and I think you are doing an awesome job so far, thank you! Have FUN!