We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Lucia Scooter rental

5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
St. Lucia Scooter rental

Hello

I am very excited to be visiting Saint Lucia in May.

As an alternative to normal car rental my friend and I were thinking of renting a scooter each.

We are both experienced drivers. Did anyone have any experience with any companies (recommendation, prices?)

we are not sure yet which part of the island we are staying at.

Many thanks

Edited: 28 March 2014, 22:41
Peaks Island, Maine
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Lucia Scooter rental

St. Lucia isn't really a "scooter" kind of island, like say Bermuda. In fact, most visitors are pretty intimidated about driving around in a jeep, let alone a scooter. The roads are mountainous, winding, very steep in spots, and narrow. And some people like to drive kind of fast. Add it all up and you can guess why scooters (and bikes for that matter) aren't a very popular means of transportation.

If you were staying up north around Rodney Bay, where it is fairly flat, it might be possible to get a scooter to run around with, but that would be one of the exceptions.

Here are a few places up north that do rent:

http://stluciascooters.com/

http://www.pirate-rentals.com/

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Lucia Scooter rental

Bon jou Victoria A,

Scooters are fine for getting around the island on the back roads up North or down South... not recommended on either the East Coast Road/Castries-Vieux Fort Hwy or the West Coast Road/Castries-Soufriere (Vieux Fort) Hwy.

Bless up! Paul

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Lucia Scooter rental

Thank you so much both of you.

We may get a car for three days and then possibly a scooter for the rest.

We were also thinking of staying 3-4 days in Soufriere and the rest of the week in another part.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Lucia Scooter rental

Irie, Victoria A!

A week is not long enough to see the many sites & attractions in and around Soufriere, heart of The Pitons World Heritage Site...

Blessings! Paul

Peaks Island, Maine
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Lucia Scooter rental

If you only have a week for your trip and your goal is to have an active vacation--run around, see the sights like the Pitons, waterfalls, snorkel beaches, hiking trails, volcano and mud baths, etc. then your best bet might be to spend your week in the Soufriere area and then take a day trip up north to check things out.

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Lucia Scooter rental

Thank you so much keithjwaz

I thought so. I think wherever we will stay will be beautiful but Soufriere is going to be the one I think.

Thanks again!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Lucia Scooter rental

Hi,

We rented a scooter from SCOTTIE'S SCOOTER RENTALS (great service) for seven days.

We went all the way to Soufriere and back to Rodney bay (one hour and 45 minutes journey). The roads are getting worse (potholes) the more south you go. We also visited Marigot bay, Anse cochon (too many potholes :-( ), pretty much all beaches on the west coast and some on the east coast.

The roads are mountainous, winding, at some places narrow and the locals do drive fast, but still it is not too bad, you will have the same issue if you rent a car. In my opinion it is more fun to drive on such roads then on a e.g. normal straight road.

Renting a scooter gives you a freedom and it is definitively the most flexible and cheapest ($234 US for seven days) way to see the island. The traffic can be very busy around Castries, Rodney bay so with the scooter you can just go between the cars, so you do not have to wait for the traffic to clear.

If you do not have experience driving a scooter, I would not recommend it.

Good tip is to stay in the middle of the lane and claim the space for yourself, do not drive too much to the edge of the road as there is sand (except temporarily e.g. if someone is overtaking you).

With 125CC scooter you will be fine and as fast as most taxis on the island.

There are not that many scooters (we only saw two other local scooters) so you will be recognised by locals very soon.

To have a scooter was great fun and we really enjoyed it.

I hope this helps.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Lucia Scooter rental

Thanks everyone for the advise.

Does anyone know if there are scooter rental in the Soufriere area? We are planning to stay in the south and want to rental a scooter from there rather than from the north and drive down.

Thanks

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Lucia Scooter rental

Bon jou Bianca M,

Used to have a scooter rental at the Plaza in Soufriere but no longer...

However, Saint Lucia Scooters in the north will deliver a couple to your hotel/villa in the south for a small fee. check them at www.stluciascooters.com

Bless up! Paul

10. Re: St. Lucia Scooter rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2016, 07:16